VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after investing way too much money in parts to get my MKIII back to tip-top shape (it IS an MKIII after all ;) ), I got to thinking, is it really necessary to pay $40 for a plastic hose? (In this case, the hose that connects the PCV valve to the block) Is there anyway I can simply make parts from oil resistant rubber tubing or am I just going to have bite the bullet and pay?

I guess what I'm asking is can you (or have you before, and what was the result?) replace hoses and other silly parts with materials that you can get for much cheaper than what you'd pay for online at like german auto parts or napa?

sorry about the lengthy post and borderline complaining, just a tad irritated with the nickel-and-diming of my jetta. :/

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
if you can save a few bucks here and there why not. My PCV hose brokedown and i went to the autoparts store to get some generic hose. Its worked for a year now. saved me $50

·
Registered
353 Posts
Did yours crack too? I got mine from an auto wreckers, cost was two dollars.
If your crack is far enough away from the end where it goes into the block, then yes. Cut the part off that goes into the block and slip some hose over top.

You are in the same boat as me, these things start costing too much money.

One website that has good pricing is RockAuto Auto Parts but I have never ordered from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had bought the car back in September the hose was already in 3 pieces. So I let my bro work his magic with the duct tape and it held up until today when it fell apart while I was reinstalling the intake manifold. I tried reconnecting the pieces with more tape but I mean there's only so much you can do when the hose is already in 6 different pieces. Then I noticed that the shaft of the PCV valve (the part of it that goes into the crankcase) was already starting to deteriorate so I thought i oughta replace it before my car gets any more messed up. The bill on German Auto Parts was just over $105, I almost shit myself. Seriously? That much for plastic?

mcrow what kind of rubber hosing did you get? like material, oil-resistant, length etc etc. Much appreciated guys

Marc

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
You know im not 100% sure but i think it was just fuel hose. They had big rolls of hose at auto value, i just found the right diameter and the correct length. Cost me a couple bucks about 15 months ago.

But my plastic section was still mostly intact, it was my rubber elbow that deteriated. Just connected the fuel hose to the PCV valve, clamped it. Then slid the plastic section into the fuel hose i bought and clamped it. Job done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts