VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice...
I just brought my 2000 Jetta in because the check engine light was on and they told me it was the "mass air meter" or something like that and that parts and labor would be $260.
What exactly does this thing do and can I just buy it online and have it installed by someone else other than the rip-off dealership?

:( My car only has 26,000 and I'm already dishing out the cash...

:eek: nullnull

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does your car have any modifications?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
260 is really pretty cheap. When mine went out on my old nissan, it was right at a grand to get it fixed. The part will have to be bought from VW, but you could take it somewhere else to have it installed. I cant see that saving you any money though, b/c most mechanics are just as crooked as the dealer, just not so corporate minded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Always remember it goes back together the same way it comes apart as long as you take your time and don't brake anything. If you can locate it usually it's after the air filter going through the intake. You will see wires going to it. If your confidence level is on the up and up you may want to try cleaning it with denatured alcohol.I have read this works but you may want to look into it a little more. What power plant is this on?-? 1.8T,VR6,2.0? This is a nother reason to keep that filter clean!!! GOOD LUCK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts