VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
What are the symptoms of the extended warranty for the mass airflow sensor? I don't want to take my car to the VW dealer unless it's covered by the warranty... they've tried to screw me over on things, like telling me my brakes were bad when the pads were fine.
Anyways, when I start my car the tachometer oscillates and revs quite a bit, i can't drive till it calms down otherwise it drives like i'm starting in 3rd gear. my car has also died (not stalled) twice in the last week. My check engine light is on....

Any help please!!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
The warranty was extended to 70k on them. I had mine replaced for free with 55k on my car.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Sounds like a MAF sensor issue to me. You could also have some vacuum leaks, which should be attended to before going in to the dealer, or they will try and sell them to you. Check the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the Fuel Pressure Regulator...they constantly fail. Also, check the vacuum line going from the Secondary Air Injection solenoid to the Secondary Air Injection Combi-valve, located near the exhaust manifold. They go bad as well. As long as they have no vacuum lines to sell you, you should be able to get your MAF replaced right off the bat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
TPS? I've diagnosed a bad throttle positioning sensor on many a car, sounds like the same symptoms. When mine went up,if you just touched the gas you'd get insta-torque, but when i first started the engine it would have a wierd idle and when you tried to drive it it felt bogged down a lot initially and stalled every so often. A bad TPS will also trigger the check engine light would it not?

just tryin to throw a diff perspective.

·
Registered
777 Posts
it is probablt a MAF problem if it revs like that, carson is actually a tech so he can back me up on this, first off how many miles are on your car and how many miles are on it, also what motor do you have? it will probably be much cheaper to buy it and install it yourself, and its one of the easiest parts on the car to install, let us know and we'll get you pointed in the right direction

since your getting CEL you'll want to reset your ECU and also align the throttle body again, carson explained to me how to do it in this post

[ February 25, 2004: Message edited by: GalacticVR6 ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts