VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 82 Scirocco GTi. I am not a 100% sure that it is the master cylinder but some times i push my brake pedel and it depresses close to the floor. I can hear a air leak comin form it (or so i think), then when i push my brake pedel in it stops. There is no brake fluid leakin out what so ever. Does the brake fluid compartment have to be compressurized? Please get back to me becasue that lst thing that i need is my brakes to fail. :{

Thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
my brakes went out once

hey i have an 87 and slowly my brakes started dragging and got worse and worse. most of the time i could just pump them and they got better and once i was at a stop sign going to actually check out the brakes, anyway i pumped them and there was a pop and i had no brakes until i hit the floor then i just had a little in the back. i just got a master cylinder and put it in and thats what it is. i'm guessing thats what it is. maybe take it off if you have the time and see if its leaking. thats the only way you can be for sure. hope that helps
idk if thats the same as yours but that was my problem

·
Registered
210 Posts
If Scirocoboy hasn't found the problem by now, he probably never will.

The hissing sound (air leak) sounds like the vacuum line running from the intake manifold to the brake booster unit has failed; however,

If there are no leaking calipers or wheel cylinders then without a doubt the internal seals in the master cylinder failed.

Solution - new master cylinder and bleed, bleed and bleed.

Owned and daily drove a 1982 Scirocco for twenty years and 220K miles before retiring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts