VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what you guys think of them? I have changed about 3 water pumps on my car thru out me owning it. Is that normal? I might be going on the 4th one soon because my coolant light came on today so its going somewhere right? Coolant was low. I refilled but this has happened before and its not evaporation it usually is the pump. I was thinking next time I might want to try the metal one? Its a 2000 1.8. I was reading you were talking about the crack pipe maybe thats what it is.

Thanks!

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Crackpipe is a vr thing. When I did my water pump I used a metal impeller one. That's what most use. Are yours failing???

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crackpipe is a vr thing. When I did my water pump I used a metal impeller one. That's what most use. Are yours failing???
Well ive had to change my water pump 3 or 4 times in the life of this car. I mean its got a ton of miles on it .Yesterday morning started my car to drive to work and the coolant light flashing and making ding ding noise. I just had water pump changed 11 months ago. Im taking car in today to see if guy can find a leak. There is no coolant on the ground but last time it did this he changed water pump and it was fixed.

What do you think? Maybe its a hose or something. Where should I get a metal one if I need it.? This car is wore out and its wearing me out,lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I am not mistaken, even the pumps with the plastic impeller should be a 60-80k mile pump. I would check all your hoses and all plastic connectors. These engines get really hot in the bay and the plastic is prone to cracking. Do you see any orangish or pinkish crusty stuff anywhere? Did your mechanic use G12 coolant, or did he use the regular green coolant? When I went looking for the leak on my VR recently, I found it easier to look at the engine when it is darker outside and just use a flashlight. Things seemed to stand out more. Good luck finding the leak.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Check your Coolant temp sensor. have you changed that? Green top sensor is new revision, black top is OE old garbage model that fails.
I actually got more life out of the black top than the green top. :mad: But yes, look into your sensor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your Coolant temp sensor. have you changed that? Green top sensor is new revision, black top is OE old garbage model that fails.
Ok here is what the deal was. My radiator had a slow leak! You know ive never changed it so it didnt surprise me. I have changed the coolant sensor with the green top but thanks everyone for the help.my mechanic changed my radiator and its fixed now. Thank god! Driving me nuts:?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts