VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i drive a 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 and the battery keeps dieing. It only has 74300 miles on it. I jump the car off and it runs fine but then i turn it off and start it again and the battery is almost dead again. i have had the alternator tested and it is working properly. also i have noticed that when i start it the interior lights will come on while the car is turning over and the doors will randomly lock, either the front doors will stay unlocked and the back doors will lock or vise versa or just one door will lock. also the remote keyless entry will only unlock the driver door no matter how many time you hit the unlock button. also the stability control light will come on when starting and it wont turn off. the only time it does turn off is when you turn the car completely off and then start the car again but most of the time the light come back on. has anyone else had any problems like this???

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
sounds like you have a short somewhere or a couple bad grounds. check the box on top of the battery for corrosion on the connections. check for loose wires on the alternator and starter. how old is the battery? have you load tested the battery at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the battery is only like a year old....last august i had run into the dry cleaner to drop off some clothes and when i came back out my car was completely dead...we couldn't even jump the car off...so i didn't think about it being the battery since it still starts whether you jump it off or not...it struggles to start either way

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
1st. Who checked your alternator and what kind of test did they do? Did they verify correct operation of the diodes and voltage regulator in the alternator?

2nd You need to put an Ampmeter inline with the battery. If there is a drain from something it will show a current draw. Start pulling fuses until you see the current flow return to zero -at which point that is the circuit that is draining your battery. From there trace the entire circuit for wiring problems and bad relays and components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem has been resolved....the battery was messed up...it had a dead cell that was causing the car not to operate properly...luckily i had just had the battery replaced april '08 so i was able to get a new one without having to buy it...gotta love interstate battery!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts