VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my milltek exhaust on my VR yesterday and wow what a difference that made. My car sounds totally different. It has a very deep throaty rumble.

I did the install myself and that was an experience. The job was a relative simple one even for a first timer. I jacked up the rear of the car and used 2 jack stands to keep it up. It took some muscle to loosen the bolts that attached the stock exhaust since those were well rusted (already). I had to cut the stock exhaust so i could remove it but the sawzall made that easy. I also had to drop down a bracket that was holding the stock exhaust up in the front that contains a neat little rubber gasket thingy. The rubber holder keeps the exhaust secure but prevents it from vibrating on the underside of your car.

I then installed the milltek exhaust from front to back. Its in three pieces and the first 2 went on fine using the exhaust paste and u clamps that were provided. The real trouble hit when i had to mount the last piece (the muffler itself). The pipes did not slip on together very easily and the angle of the pipe makes it very difficult to apply a good amount of pressure. I probably spent over an hour trying to get the last piece on. We ended up making some slits in the pipe to allow it to compress some more to slip on the the muffler. I wasn't really sure how else to get that pipe on there. I was able to get it clamped down and secured but i still think it needs to slip up some more but i will not be able to do that. If i notice any problems i will take it to a shop.

The last part was aligning the exhaust in the rear and mounting the rubber mounts. I didn't have any problems there so I went around and tightened each bolt and make sure the exhaust was secured.

I took a slow speed spin around the block to make sure everything was ok. When i pulled in i left it idle for a while. She was smoking but i assume that was either the exhaust paste and/or the muffler breaking in. I couldn't believe how sweet she sounds now. I have yet to get on it but i would imagine its going to sound good. The other test is to make sure she doesn't drone at highway speeds.

The whole process took about 4 hours of which and hour and half was devoted to get the muffler attached. It also took awhile for the wd40 to penetrate the rusted bolts to remove the stock exhaust. It was a fun process and I probably would do it again.

I had someone helping me and I don't think i could have done it myself; actually if we had a third person at times that would have been a big help. Oh yeah, the sawzall is alot of fun :)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
GOOD JOB ON THE INSTALL!!

it must have been nice installing it yourself. a feeling of satisfaction must be running through you. i felt that same way when i installed my tails b/c, to me, i thought i would never be able to install my tails after hearing all the horror stories of people losing bolts and wrenches in there wheel well. but i pulled it off with no screw ups!

anyways good job! you saved yourself a good chunk of cash if you paid someone to install it!

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no pics yet but i will take some. I may also steal your video idea, have my friend run a chase cam for me. ;-)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
milltek was the exaust I originally wanted, and was going to get. but the thermal came up for a good price. I hope to hear some sound clips, or maybe see you at h2o. good job on the install. I love finishing a diy job!

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds sweet definently share some pics if you've got some

1 - 7 of 7 Posts