VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the MK2 Jetta in my possession today. My friend says there's a serial number located on the oil pan that you need (in addition to the VIN of course) in order to get the title back (the original is lost, AARRRGGGHHH!), though I found no such number on the oil pan. He did the same thing for his old MK2 Golf and it was right where he said it was. However, I did find one on the engine. Just curious if this is the number I'm looking for, whether this is actually necessary for what I need to do, how many digits should I be looking for, or if in fact such a number exists that's important enough for me to even bother with this. Any help with this already troublesome project endeavor would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Last time i checked you didn't need the code of the engine to get another title, but i could be wrong. I all else fails call your DMV and find out what you need

·
Registered
499 Posts
yeah, I'd call the DMV and see what you need before you go out of your mind looking for something you may not need.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a bit more research on it. Turns out there was an auxillary number that you need in addition to the VIN# on some models for theft purposes. While this makes no sense to me, I've contacted the DMV in NY and it should all resolve itself in a few days anyways. I decided to dig into the engine and parts anyways to check up on the maintenance and reliability, see what needs work, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts