VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this golf at the beginning of the summer from a relative who had parked it and didnt want to drive it anymore. They gave it to me for free so i really couldnt complain. It had a decent amount of rear end damage but mechanically it works very well other than the reverse in the 5sp. Ive been working on fixing the body damage all summer and then painting it as well. I did all the work my self except for actually spraying the paint (had a friend's body shop hook me up...so s/o to Bhattis towing). Its now lb5r paint (the R32 color). I still have more i want to do but not a whole lot since its a 2.0. Im going to drop it, exhaust, chip it and then rims (hopefully bbs rs or somethin like that). Thats all i really have planned. Other suggestions are welcome. Im not swappin or doin anythign like that. This is a daily driver and i really dont have alot of money. Letme know what you guys think. I have before and after picture here.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I forgot about this thread. Sorry for no updates but honestly i havent gotten to do much to it. Im on a pretty tight college budget right now. Updates since the pictures: Did a DIY CAI , 2.25 catback with magnaflow and resonator delete, put up some plaid inside, redid the headliner, put in new audio system, and my girlfriend got her grandfather to ship me his old licence plate from Germany for a nice little addition. Im gonna have to replace the tranny this summer so ill be saving up for that right now. About the only thing ill get to do to it till then is chip it. Ill be driving it up to SoWo this year (not entering it but just going for fun).

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not much...probably $50 at most. i dont really remember. I just went to the local fabric store and picked out a fabric and got a can of 3m spray adhesive. The head liner is pretty easy to do. My headliner was all rotted out cause it used to be a florida car so i had to scrape off the fabric. If your current one isnt bad you could probably just put fabric straight over it with spray adhesive. but if its too rotted i just bought automotive headliner from a fabric store and put it up so it would still have the foam backing. also if you wanna do the plaid i would do both the headliner and the plaid at the same time. the plastic clips on the trim tend to break easy when they get old so id only wanna have to pull them off once. enough stayed in tact for me to not have to buy any but i feel like they'd be a pain to go find/buy from somewhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got my new head im gonna rebuild. im gonna port and polish, hd springs, 276 cam, chip tune, etc..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
realized i havent updated this in a little while. so heres what i got goin. Polished up the ports on my head and then sent it off to have it decked and give it a nice bath. also got a tt chip to go with the 276 cam ill be running. also, my reverse gear has been out for about a year now and i found a tranny for sale locally so picked that up the other day. might just keep running this one until the forward ones actually start to go then ill swap it. By the end of the summer i should also have some coils...it needs to be low and the suspension is pretty well shot anyways.

the head so far (got the cams and springs ordered...should be here next week so i can start puttin everything back together):

new gasket set, valve gaskets, lifters, bolts, etc...

New trans, hopefully it works just fine. its a 020 9A so its close ration and ill have to do some wiring and stuff but other than that it will be pretty much direct swap:

And the wood floors cause i got bored waiting on the head parts and wanted to work on my car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i mean i read through a couple DIYs a while ago but i just kinda threw this together on my own. just got some ply wood and liquid nails and glued the flooring to the plywood. then just pulled out the carpet in the back, traced it onto the floor and then cut it out with a jigsaw. i was doing some renovations on my sisters house the last couple months so we had half a box of left over scraps of flooring so i just used that and made it work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
havent updated this in a minute. put new head in and threw some coilovers on it. Nothin fancy but itll do. Also, aba guys take note...figured out how to make the cheap autozone rent a tool work for the head. "work" is a bit relative here but i didnt want to buy anything else.

276 before it got all lubed up

heads off without too much trouble. cut an exhaust stud and broke the pcv valve but other than that cant complain.

gettin 'er back together

el cheapo rsk's...no complaints yet though. put a decent amount of miles on them too.

had some trouble gettin it off the lift but a few floor jacks later it came off

back home. I raised up the back a little bit since the pics because it was hitting the framerails too hard. Need to get them notched before i go lower in the back but havent done that yet.

thats it for now, the future holds some new wheels for the car. Maybe some gold centered bbs rs style wheels. Open to other things though. Once i get another car/graduate/get a real job ill throw a turbo kit on it for fun....see how long it last before motor goes kaboom.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not a whole lot in the way of updates here, pulled some gti tails from a pull-a-part and got rid of the spray tinted taillights. Much better. ALso someone backed into the front of my car while it was parallel parked and scratched up the top of the bumper as well as broke the front grill. Got a new grill and ordered some lb5r from paintscratch.com and got her all fixed up today.

the tails i got, could use a little cleaning but theyll come out nice:

a couple pics before she got hit for comparison:

the broken grill and the scratches on the bumper:

The Paint:

new grill. scrubbin the dub in the tub before i get to painting it...its all in the prep work:

priming er up:

getting that color on:

all done after a few coats of clear and the bottom part of the old grill for color/texture comparison:

sittin perty after the shes all back together:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts