VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did they start making Mk4 Cabriolets and stop with the Mk3's.

I'm looking at a lot of 1997 - 1999 Cabriolets (UK) and I think they're all Mk3's, but can't be sure - did the Mk4 get released in 1997 and then have a slight facelift in 1998?

I can tell the difference between the hatchbacks, but really stumped on how to easilly spot the Mk3 vs Mk4 cabriolets.

Are there any major downsides to getting a Mk3 Cabriolet? Looking at the 2.0 Avantgarde 1997/1998, but worried about the safety, NCAP crash ratings, etc.

VW Newbie.

rgds,
LostBok

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
As far as my limited knowledge goes, I believe the MkIV Cabrio is actually just a MkIII with a front end redesign to look like the MkIV. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea where I could find out the safety ratings for the MkIII and MkIV Cabriolets?

Most NCAP sites I've found don't differentiate between hatch and cabrio.

LB

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
As far as my limited knowledge goes, I believe the MkIV Cabrio is actually just a MkIII with a front end redesign to look like the MkIV. I could be wrong though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DINGDINGDING. It's a MK3 with different headlights, fenders, and bumpers. It's a MK3.5 and they started in either 99 or 2000 I think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - I guess this means that the NCAP rating, etc is going to be closer to a Mk3 hatch, rather than the Mk4 hatch.

Is there that much difference between them safety wise?

Both Mk3 and Mk4's are 199x cars with ABS, side impact, airbags, etc.

I know a cabriolet's not the best safety option anytway, but I'd like to get a decently safe one!

LostBok

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Side Impact Airbags were not availble on mk3's here in the US as far as I know, and ABS was not stantard on all cars. VW's are safe, solid cars. Five star in crash test, ect. Mk4's are a more solid car and have the advantage of the newest technology, I would they they are safer. But mk3's are safe cars, in a convertable you always are more prone to injury and I do not know how well they handle a rollover.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ya, the NCAP ratings you are talking aobut must be much more significant that the National Transportation Safety Association test we have here, as I can't recall any car not getting a 5 star rating over here. Such is the patheticness of American Automotive industry though, you have to lower the bar so you look as good as everybody else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started looking at some US sites for safety ratings, but was appalled that some place the car's weight ahead of the fact that the steering column / brake pedal is likely to go straight through your stomach if you're in a 40mph head-on.

EU NCAP ratings are pretty harsh and a lot of the overall ratings take in all sorts of side-impact, diagonal impact, oblique front impact, whiplash and other ratings (including pedestrian ratings now).

Incidentally the VW group cars (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda) were rated pretty poorly for whiplash ratings, unless you've changed your head-rest for one where there's less travel for your head and it's adjustable.

LB

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think ABS is standard on the Avantgarde 2.0 litre Cabriolet.

I thought NCAP tests gave the Mk3 3 stars and the Mk4 4 stars.... and that the Renault Megane/Laguna mid-2003 made headlines as it was one of the first mid-small sized cars to be awarded 5 stars and still amongst one of the few to get that.

New Golf MkV has 4 stars according to latest ratings - same as the new BMW 5 series.

Although I think the EU/Japanese/Australian NCAP tests are graded differently to the US ones.

Not sure about side-impact bars - need to look into that...

Promise I'm not a bad driver (no prangs and I did very well on my IAM course), I just don't trust all the other monkeys out there!

rgds,
LB

[ February 19, 2004: Message edited by: LostBok ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have mine cranked all the way forward, There is a max 3/4" between the back of my head and the headrest at all times. When Im on the highway for extended periods, I can actually lay my head back against it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds even more dangerous. zzzzzzzzzzzz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts