VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a vr6 that is thinking about doing a brake upgrade. Does anyone on here know if the audi TT's calipers and rotors will fit a mk4 vr6? I know that they have the same bolt pattern so I would assume the rotors would work. The rotors are about an inch larger though so we are trying to find out if you can put the audi tt's calipers on there.
Any input on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The TT brake upgrade is very popular. The fronts from any TT are bigger...12.3"...all you need are the caliper carriers and the rotors...the stock calipers are compatible.

For the rear brakes, you want the setup from a TT 225 or a GTI 337/20th AE. If you want to retain your stock brake shields, you have to remove your rear wheel bearings, and that requires a special tool from VW to install the new ones (which you will need, you can't save the old ones)..but regardless, you will need the calipers, carriers, shields and rotors for the rear swap.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:

If you want to retain your stock brake shields, you have to remove your rear wheel bearings, and that requires a special tool from VW to install the new ones (which you will need, you can't save the old ones)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We learned that this weekend. Carson busted out the Sawzall to cut my shields off. I look at it as weight reduction.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
...I look at it as weight reduction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the way you guys think...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am interested in this too but know very little about it. GTIVR6 (technician) can u please let me know all the parts needed in one post lets say if I were to do a tt upgrade also would I need the brake lines and also can i just get the caliper from the tt and put better rotors like brembo rotors. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Which end do you want to upgrade, front or rear? If you are upgrading the front, you need the following:

TT Caliper Carriers
TT Rotors (or aftermarket equivelant, like Brembo)

And thats it for the front. It uses the same size pads, and the same calipers as your stock brakes, it just makes the rotors larger for increased friction surface.

For the TT 225 brake upgrade, you need:

Calipers
Caliper Carriers
Rotors
Brake Shields with new Wheel Bearings (Wheel bearings need to be specified for your car, not the TT)

And thats it for the rears. The brake lines are compatible with the new parts, though while you are in there it might be a good idea to upgrade to stainless steel braided lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts