Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have a MK4 GLI 1.8t AWP engine, mods listed below if needed:
-Stage 2 tune
-CTS Turbo short ram intake
-APR R1 diverter valve
-4bar FPR oem VW (I believe from a Passat found in junkyard)
-Catless downpipe no res Magnaflow muffler
-2.0t coil packs

Recently I've been noticing a sluggish acceleration on my GLI. It's not necessarily very slow, however it's not as quick as it used to be when I first put the tune on November in my opinion. I'm not really sure what's wrong. When I'm driving I feel like regular traffic goes quicker than me. I don't drive super slow shifting at 2.5k rpms, but I'm also not redlining every gear lol. I also notice sometimes when I start off in first gear, I get a sort of a boost spike with a blowoff sound followed by a slight jerk, but then it drives normally. On idle, once or twice every minute the RPMs will dip a tiny bit for a split second and come back up to normal idling RPMs. Gas mileage kind of sucks too, I've always used premium 93 octane from not crappy gas stations. I get like 180-200 miles on a full tank (keep in mind this is pretty much no highway driving so not sure if that's good or not). I'm just trying to provide as much information as I can so I can rule out exactly what's going on. In regards to maintenance, less than 8k miles ago I did: spark plugs, 2.0t coil packs, fuel filter, throttle body cleaned, valve cover gasket, cleaned oil pickup line from oil pan, upstream O2 sensor. That's also around the same time I installed my intake, diverter valve and FPR. Last month, I also replaced the crank position sensor because I would intermittently stall out at idle. A few days ago I cleaned out the MAF and IAT sensors with some MAF cleaner. I scanned the vehicle with VCDS but no fault codes show up. I also measured some blocks in VCDS and found that everything is in the correct range when you hover over the reading and VCDS tells you what the range for that reading should be.

If anyone can provide me with some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I would think this could be due to your 4bar FPR. You have to run what the tune calls for and that is likely the stock 3bar. With a 4bar you will likely be running very rich which explains your poor gas mileage. Your car might be trying to adjust for it and it could be causing the jerkiness in first. Swap in the OEM stock 3bar and go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think this could be due to your 4bar FPR. You have to run what the tune calls for and that is likely the stock 3bar. With a 4bar you will likely be running very rich which explains your poor gas mileage. Your car might be trying to adjust for it and it could be causing the jerkiness in first. Swap in the OEM stock 3bar and go from there.
I've been running the 4bar FPR for a year now. I guess it makes sense that it explains the crappy gas mileage. Can the 4bar FPR really make the car run like crap even on a stage 2 tune?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts