VW Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so after being off the road for over a month, I started up my mk4 golf 1.6. I’ve driven it a few times, probably coming to a total of 30 minutes on the road, plus atleast 20 just idling in the driveway. I do seem to have quite a lot of exhaust smoke coming out the back. It’s not too bad at idle, and can be noticed a little, but when you rev the engine (especially when the car isn’t moving) you can see a lot of smoke. It appears to be white/light gray in colour, and has a strange smell which is hard to describe. It doesn’t seem to be as bad as when I first took it for a test drive, but non-the-less is still quite noticeable. During the month it wasn‘t driven, I did a full head gasket and valve cover gasket change, aswell as all the other things you do with a service (oil, oil filter, spark plugs etc). I also gave the top of the pistons and valves a good clean to get the carbon deposits off using some throttle body cleaner. I did use new head bolts and used the correct torquing method. It may also help to mention I do have a small brake booster hose leak to the intake manifold. What do you all think? Perhaps its just the chemicals burning off? or wouldn’t this have happened by now? I appreciate any advice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts