VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents of Vwforum, I'm new to this site, and to VW's in general. Been into cars for a while, Built a few cars but have minimal knowledge on VW's. Long story short I have a friend with a mk4 jetta wagon tdi, he also owns a wrecked mk4 golf 1.8T... He hates the fact his car is a tdi, doesn't want it to be a diesel. Now I literally just finished my garage and his car was going to be the first swap in my newly built garage, but he was injured while walking by a car, and is in the hospital, and recovering thank god. But I thought it might be cool to do the swap for him and put his car back in his yard with the swap done. I haven't been able to find too much on a diesel tdi to gas 1.8T swap in a jetta wagon, so I'm just curious if I strip the Golf 1.8T everything should just go in the jetta correct? Fuel tank, (I'll need longer fuel lines) , ecu, wiring, engine with alt/ps pump/ac pump, transmission (Manuel to Manuel ) ,a new clutch. I would also like to throw in a front mount intercooler on it and run diverter valve?Anything else I should need? Anyhelp would be deeply appreciate! Thanks in advance. Cheers

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Everything needs swapped out. Cluster, wires, ecu, trans, trans cables, ect. Everything bolts up in the same spot. I would also swap out the suspension and brakes. Since the tdi/2.0 use the smallest brake setup in the mk4 world. The fuel lines and gas tank will probably different anyway due to being a diesel. So swap all the fuel related stuff out too.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
TDI's sell for much more than a 1.8t. Sell the TDI or trade it for a 1.8t + cash on top.

I wouldn't touch that swap. Losing money as soon as you pull that TDI motor out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
^^^Agreed. If he doesn't want a diesel, sell it. They are worth good money.

Most people wouldn't touch a 1.8 with 200,000 miles, but a TDI with the same mileage will sell quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea we've told him that before but he loves his car and wants to swap regardless. And he's in the hospital so that's why the swap is going to happen. Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Get a 1.8t the same color, swap the clusters and vin number plates. Sucker is probably so drugged up he won't remember the old one and will never notice.
I'm just kidding around, hope he gets well soon to enjoy it.

If this is how it is to be here is what you need, likely missing some things but forgive me since this is a rare swap request.
Full 1.8t block with all accesories.
1.8t passenger side engine mount with power steering res.
You do not need to swap the transmission. The only difference is the gearing. You could get a 1.8t gears for the first 4 gears and keep your long fifth gear for better highway MPG and accelerate faster as the TDI's are longer geared.
The TDI and 1.8t flywheels are nearly the same. The bolts and OD are the same but the recess for the clutch is a different depth which makes little to no difference. A lighter g60/vr6 clutch and flywheel would make the 1.8t rev happy.

You need the ecu and a place that can reprogram the ecu and immobilizer defeat to match the car. You need the cluster, the difference in RPMS is crazy for starters.
You need the full harness. Different injectors. different fuel lines and tank, the exhaust would need to change. You need the turbo and manifolds, all the intake pipes but they can be aftermarket. You need a n75 valve. I would do an air pump/combi valve delete and run a catch can.
The amount of wiring change would be ridiculous.

Other differences are, the brakes. A 1.8t is a faster car and has better brakes. Not required but recommended to swap.

A 1.8t car is worth about 4 grand.
A tdi car is worth about 6+ grand at any milage.
The cost of this swap in parts will be, a 1.8t parts car(about 2 grand) and my guesstimate of 5k+ in labor EASILY.
Expect to pay tripple, hope for double. If you do it yourself it won't be pretty unless you're damn good.

That's all I've got, good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a full parts car ATM, it runs and all that, I know he to over ride the immobilizer as this golf was immobilized until last night. If I swap out the wiring shouldn't it be plug and play? We're going to fab up a exhaust and such. Got the motor/ trans and everything complete

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Swap everything over. I mean everything. You won't have to worry about immobilizers.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
So I have two perfectly running and driving cars. See, what I want to do here is completely change all the internals of these nearly identical cars because fuck you.

This guy you're doing it for, he must be one seriously awesome dude and bless you for doing this for him.
It's not too late to just swap all the body panels, the seats and save yourself 2 weeks of work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 99 mk4 golf is completely smashed up. (Was hit by a taxi) Motor is good, 1.8t with 6 speed. And he is a great friend of mine. I don't need a reason to work on a car,but this was his plan, I know he could sell his tdi for more money but he doesn't want to sell... Although he could use that cash for more parts lol ahh well lol he's also parting out what's left of the golf and selling the tdi engine/ tranny, fuel tank, lines, front brakes as the ones on the golf are a lot larger(barely fit in a 16 inch wheel) I'm also putting in a fmic, with a diverter valve, a new turbo suction, boost gauge, and a few other things if I can get my hands on more stuff!

·
Registered
2 Posts
whatever happened to the swap? I was so looking forward to this. OP sounded like he knew so much and had such a bromance going, well, I didn't see it ever stopping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts