VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a repair on a 2007 VW Jetta to replace the locking mechanism on the driver side back door. It seem this is a common issue so I thought I would share. When one of the locks fail all the doors lock except for the door that has the failing lock and the car no longer beeps when locking with the remote. The dealership wants over 700 dollars for this repair but after doing it once its not that hard. I found an OEM lock on ebay for around 50 bucks and also had to buy the M6 tri square bit for the bolts to remove the locking mechanism. I also picked up a Haynes manual which really helped.

I took off the door skin on the inside but after doing this once realized that wasnt necessary. To start pull the plastic strip held in by clips on the side of the door where the latch is. Underneath there you will find a silver circle sticker covering a hole. Remove this and you will find a torx screw. Loosen that screw until the piece next to the handle can slide out. This is the piece where the key lock is on the driver door. Once that is removed use a small screw driver to remove the cable attached to the door handle. When that is removed you can remove the handle by pushing it back and pulling it out toward you. Rotate it toward the front of the car to remove completely (I had trouble with this but after messing with it for awhile it came out. It went back in no problem). Under here you will see a single screw to remove.

Next you will find torx screws around the perimeter of the door holding on t he outside shell of the door (Note which screws went where because they are different and can damage the door if put back in the wrong place). Once the screws are removed the outer door shell should lift off. Set in a safe place where it wont get dinged or scratched.

Next find the part of the latch that was screwed to the outer shell. It is held in by a small rubber band. Remove this and you will see the locking mechanism under a plastic cover. Use the M6 tri square bit and remove the 2 bolts on the side of the door where the door latches. Once removed remove the cable attached to the locking mechanism and the cable that goes to the outside and inside handles.

To install the new lock mechanism follow instructions in reverse.

If there is a lot of interest in this lock fix I could get some additional photos to help out.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Be really careful when purchasing these locking mechanisms. Make sure they are really OEM. I started by getting a cheaper one. It looked the same, mechanism seemed to work the same, but after you put it all together, would not work. Tried a bunch of times, once I wasn't sure I was going to get the door back open. Sent back for a refund, and made sure I got an OEM, worked first shot. Design of the mechanism seems touchy, may have some tight tolerances. Knockoff looks the same, but binds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I got lucky with the OEM lock then... Everything worked for me first try so I was very happy with my purchase. It's been working great for a few weeks now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts