VW Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be selling my 99 Golf Mk IV and there is a rattle in the catalytic converter. My first intuition is to replace it with a piece of appropriatly sized steel pipe and call it a day but the post-cat O2 sensor has me worried. If I do throw away the cat will it cause problems in the car's computer? My county doesnt have emissions requirements so that doens't bother me but if it is going to affect the the car negatively I wont do it. I know that someone has cut theirs out with the additional HP in mind and i'm just wondering what they did with the post-cat O2 sensor.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You'll probably throw codes if you do that, plus the environment won't like you very much...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You will definately throw codes if you do that. Also, if somehow the people that get it from you report it, it is a huge ass fine to run w/o a cat. Get the cat replaced. Buy a used one off VWVortex.com from someone that took their oem one off to upgrade. You can probably pick on up for $30 or less.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The car's stock engine management is designed to run with a cat. Removing it would not only affect your cars computer (a CEL is the least of the possible problems), you would be breaking federal law. I understand not replacing it with a new one from the dealer, as they can retail close to $800...

I'd either have a muffler shop install a new universal cat (cut and weld type deal) or I'd buy a good used one.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martin:
My county doesnt have emissions requirements so that doens't bother me but if it is going to affect the the car negatively I wont do it.
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The law doesn't seem to be a problem. Is it the cat rattling/ or the cat shield (If MK4's have them)?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
The law doesn't seem to be a problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because his county doesn't test for it doesn't mean its not illegal. Suppose he sells it to someone in a metropolitan area. More than likely when they go to have it inspected, they have an emissions test. The testor sees no cat, and notifies the state of an illegaly operated motor vehicle. Well, the guy you sold it to has to answer to the state and the EPA... and guess who he is going to turn around and point at?

·
Registered
218 Posts
just run a high flow cat or non at all better to have to extry hore power then not to. who cares about the emissions anyway if u know the right people u dont have to get one and if they do ask y it isnt on tell them it was on teh caar when u sold it to them thats one way of getting around it.

03 1.8t jetta fox dual exhaust neuspeed cold air intake, clarion dvd player ps2, 18inch eco ray rims nitto z rated tires, 2 15inch jl subs bora fron end. more to come before summer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I live in Florida so there aren't any emission laws period so only someone outta state would care. Thanks for the imput everyone...I just don't want to go to VW and pay that much money for a car that i'm selling. I didn't know about the used cats that I could buy so i'm going to look into that.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martin:
Well I live in Florida so there aren't any emission laws period so only someone outta state would care. Thanks for the imput everyone...I just don't want to go to VW and pay that much money for a car that i'm selling. I didn't know about the used cats that I could buy so i'm going to look into that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case, your country DOES have emission laws, backed by the EPA. Keep a cat on, Florida doesn't have strict laws, they do have some, because the air is still good quality. Don't change that...

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
In that case, your country DOES have emission laws, backed by the EPA. Keep a cat on, Florida doesn't have strict laws, they do have some, because the air is still good quality. Don't change that...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have FL plates (I live in MA, but my father lives in FL and my insurance is cheaper there), and the fact that we don't have to get emmissions tested is great for us, but if everyone starts running around without a cat, then it will get pulluted and they will put emissions laws in place.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Here is some insight for some of you.

While I was installing my Hi-Flo Cat-Converter I started the car with just the Downpipe hanging there.

No CEL was triggered. Go Figure.

That Sucker was sooooo LOUD. LOL

BTW: The hi-flo cat is less then $450 and is far better choice then the stock for $800.

You actually gain HP while doing that too.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm with Josh on this one. every car should run a cat unless it is a track car; it is just good ediquette as a driver and as a citizen of this little planet.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hmmm.....is not having a cat and gettin a big 2hp worth huge fines and/or jail time??? Im gonna go with no
but it could happen.....how do i know? because im a police officer in Baltimore, MD.......TAKE MY ADVISE LEAVE IT ON

·
Registered
223 Posts
i personaly dont like police officers and I am curently driving on a suspended license so if u dont like me blow me.
shit i finaly get to tell that to a cop hehe.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry to say, with an attitude like that and suspended license, I hope you get caught. i've got officers who are friends of mine and they do stick up for each other, even out of state.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would be the nicest cop u could ever meet....hell i have a vdub with a nitrous hookup and i luv to race....but just as he said above if u want cops to pick on u have a tude with them(me) and u will be lucky if u can still drive, or walk, when we r done.

HAPPY DRIVIN

·
Registered
291 Posts
hey golfzex your car sounds pretty nice...got any pics??

·
Registered
736 Posts
sorry dude i only have old pics from when i got the car......but in a few months when i put my wheels back on and its clean...lol....ill def be takin some pics for the site......the old pics r on a site: www.ssiauto.com go to gallery and vw mine is golf duh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.