VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my new-to-me 2000 Golf GLS, and my first VW. It has the 1.8t/5spd combo. She's fully loaded, and is only missing leather (was that even an option on these?) and the monsoon stereo. The heated seats are pretty good, but don't warm up nearly as fast as those in my previous bimmer. It has 195000kms (121000mi) and looks like it was well cared for.

It appears as though it has a lowered suspension. It also has some nice looking five spoke alloys, that definitely need a color change. Might be hard to tell under all the filth, but they are purple. I'll be stripping and refinishing them in the spring, once the weather warms up. Maybe silver, gunmetal, black or bronze. I am thinking the bronze would look sharp against the green. Possibly even gold color.

This car is a blast to drive, even on the snow covered roads here. The engine seems to be very rev-happy, and I am loving the fuel economy compared to the v8 BMW. What also shocked me a little was the room inside. Even at 6'4", I still have lots of room to move around even with one of my kids in the seat behind me.

Anyway, enough rambling on....

Here she is, road grime and all:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uglier than I thought I guess. I am blaming the wheels, ha ha. I am trying to find some info on them, so I can get some replacement center caps for after the repaint. I know they are Work wheels, but I can't find any other info on them at all, even doing a Google image search. The only other stamping I can make out through the thick paint is the JWL and VIA stampings, besides the WORK stamping, near the valvestem.

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
Looking retty good, no clue on the wheels, i would say reps as i am unsure what model they are unless they are an OEM wheel produced by WORK for an auto manufacture in the 80s-90s?

BTW,
JWL = Japan Light Wheel Alloy

VIA = Vehicle Inspection Association Registration System. VIA marking can only be engraved on the wheel if registered by Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council after strict quality tests by the authorized testing facility on the adaptability of JWL or JWL-T technical standard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I figured they were JDM wheels from something else. I have to change the oil in my truck tomorrow, maybe I'll pop a wheel off the car while I have use of the garage. I'd hate to have to pull the rubber off to have a look at the inner surface for any markings, so hopefully something is stamped on the backside. I've been scouring different forums, etc... for anything similar, but haven't found anything close yet. I think I'll shoot them off an email.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL!

I'll call Enkei and get the center caps for my ricers shipped out.

Guess I shoulda kept the BBS wheels from the bimmer and bought adapters, that way I won't have to make a huge-assed cardboard rear wing and ground effects kit for the Golf..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Apparently, they are Work Ewing RSZ, +35 flat spoke 5 x 100. Now to find some replacement center caps. Any 2.5" diameter shallow snap in center cap should fit, so I'll even use generic plain ones and just paint them to match if I have to.

Edit: It looks like a set of 65mm VW center caps may even fit!

This is the wheel I have (except in 16", 5 bolt, of course):

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is about as much refurb as they are going to get until spring. The purple was really grossing me out (not to mention looking like shit, and the constant teasing at work, ha ha), so I resprayed them anthracite grey for now. In the spring, I will completely strip them again and probably go with the bronze/gold to compliment the green.

Atleast the person that painted them didn't paint the inner hoop surface, so the stickers are all still intact. Worn, but there anyway.

I think I may pick up a cheaper coilover kit as well. If the roads get any worse this winter, I won't be able to drive her at all. They forecasted a "dry" winter for us this year. Those idiots could predict a fart at a bean eating contest.... we already have record snowfall for the month of November.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts