VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK boys and girls, winter is upon us so let the teardowns begin. I am considering Cayenne or Boxster 6 piston calipers all around for this year’s project. I am having a little problem finding carriers and I suppose we should talk about wheel clearance also. There seems to be limited information for rear fitment as well. I would love to hear any input you guys have. Ideally, I would like to get the calipers in the paint booth during holiday break. So there’s my timeline. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that makes me sad too. I am going to do it. I picked up the calipers super cheap. so why not. I guess I don't need the carriers just the bolt kit from JDM. we will have to see. on to wheels I suppose. If I knew the offset that would be helpful

·
Registered
517 Posts
1 of the 3 MkV guys here..........
I use mind as a daily driver and wouldn't do any mods on mine.
Looks like your going to be the pioneer here.
Good luck and keep us updated on the project.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah mine is a daily too. I have picked up the front calipers. They should be on the way. Now I just have to figure out the rears.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Big Brakes

OK boys and girls, winter is upon us so let the teardowns begin. I am considering Cayenne or Boxster 6 piston calipers all around for this year’s project. I am having a little problem finding carriers and I suppose we should talk about wheel clearance also. There seems to be limited information for rear fitment as well. I would love to hear any input you guys have. Ideally, I would like to get the calipers in the paint booth during holiday break. So there’s my timeline. Thanks for your help!
Hi, not sure why you need bigger brakes. My recommendation would be as follow: Installed cross drill rotor both front & rear. run additional cooling lines from front bumper to the front wheels to increase air flow around the brakes and that should be enough to maintain decent braking.

(I have a late 2008 model 6 speed manual with 185,000 miles. 40% highway, 30% town & 30% backroads and mountains of Tennessee), after extra duct cooling installed close to the fog lights, my brakes no longer fade. I just ordered new rotor cross drilled to improve rain delay. Other than that all stock and braking good) If you really need more, use track pads on stock hardware. less modification, less problems in the long run. Including resale value.
Cheers!
:p

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for funsies mainly. But they do fade with stock calipers I have slotted rotors now and they really didn't seem to make that big of a difference. This is also in prepping for the big turbo to come later next year. My theory is if I am unhappy with the way it brakes now the additional horsepower will only make it worse. Keep in mind that mine is a Wolfsburg not a GLI. I didn't get the added benefit of GLI/GTI brakes. So this may be why you are ok with yours. Maybe?

·
Registered
101 Posts
im the other mk5 owner and Im so happy to see a fellow mk5 on board. Yup you will need to be our R & D. @salauns I would love to see your additional cooling lines from front bumper to the front wheels setup. can you post pics? please and thanks. @hunter1 good luck bro, and keep us updated.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Did the calipers you bought come with the Porsche carriers? Wouldn't be to hard to fab up a bracket to bolt the carriers to. That's how some big brake setups for mk4's are.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am hoping they will. I don't know for sure what i'll get. I am going to take a closer look when I mount up my winters over thanksgiving.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Big brakes

for funsies mainly. But they do fade with stock calipers I have slotted rotors now and they really didn't seem to make that big of a difference. This is also in prepping for the big turbo to come later next year. My theory is if I am unhappy with the way it brakes now the additional horsepower will only make it worse. Keep in mind that mine is a Wolfsburg not a GLI. I didn't get the added benefit of GLI/GTI brakes. So this may be why you are ok with yours. Maybe?
Hi, you are probably right, Plus with with added Brake Horse Power of the bigger turbo, you need all the braking you can get!
Good Luck:p

·
Registered
82 Posts
im the other mk5 owner and Im so happy to see a fellow mk5 on board. Yup you will need to be our R & D. @salauns I would love to see your additional cooling lines from front bumper to the front wheels setup. can you post pics? please and thanks. @hunter1 good luck bro, and keep us updated.
Hi,
It is a cheap trick I used on my race cars to help circulate the air around the brakes. Used 2.5" duct neoprene from the front facia to inside wheel well.
There is enough room to insert a 24" long duct to reach the well. Right side has a water bottle but you can squeeze pipe between brackets.
For the record, I used to race a street 1984 GTI doing Solo II . Put a Scirocco 16V blue print & balanced in, did Solo I GT4 (won SE Div 1994), Moved on to PCA, bought a 911 and did club racing & instructor (won GT3R class enduro Sebring in 2004), did couple street survival in Nashville. Use my current GTI for work, love it even with the nagging problems it start to show. The car is as tight as it was when I bought it. On its fourth intake manifold (3 plus original), water pump at 160,000, the throttle pedal at 173,000 and soon the throttle body to fix I hope an EPC issue.
The reason I was talking about brakes is: I am used to underpowered cars & motorcycles (where I come from), so the idea is to carry as much speed as possible through the turns. Straigh speed is irrelevant, unless you are on a drag strip. But carrying speed in a turn is where i think the answer is. The car is so well balanced that it will help you turn even if you come in too fast. (providing you dont panic and hit the brakes). Remove some weight out of the car and you have a pocket rocket! I am also reluctant to modify the car more than necessary, especially when using other OEM parts. You test and trial certain things looking for improvements but in the long run, you end up removing all your expensive added parts because they dont work or fix one problem but create another. No offense to Hunter but when you look at the amount of money spent modifying a car, and what you get in return when you unload it. Ain't worth it! Speaking from experience here!
Cheers,:p
Brake mods (1).jpg

Brake mods (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's pretty sweet! Might have to steal that! well my left side caliper came in today and we will see what its going to take to mount these up. I will have to post up some pics

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to hear how this project goes. Considering the Jetta is my wife's it doesn't get much mod attention. However, I've taken her down the Tail of the Dragon (Google that, or; US Hwy 129 or Deal's Gap for those unfamiliar)

I was really impressed how well this little thing handled stock. Outside of a fair amount of body roll and sometimes spongy breaks, it did quite well. I thought it might make for a fun project to improve the suspension a bit, and take the Dragon by storm or hit my local SCCA group up for some legal fun.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have riden the tail on my bike. Yeah the spongy brakes I would expect on those corners. So I lost my job a couple of weeks ago so this little project has been put on hold for now. Although I did start tearing down the calipers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts