VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the Monsoon system has crossovers built in or if I change the speakers should I put the crossover that comes with the speakers in it. I'm assuming that there's already a crossover built in. I want to use the stock amp and wiring and just change the speakers. I think the stock are fine but while we were at the Stereo store looking for a new deck my wife heard some Boston Acoustic speaker now she needs them. Not thatI'm going to complain much but at $300 a pair that's a little spendy.
Don

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
There are no crossozers with the monsoon system. I have Boston Acoustics Pro series speakers, which sound great. I also used an aftermarket amp, just because it will give you much better sound, and you will get more power out of it. Plus, aftermarket amps will protect against blown speakers, blown amp, etc., but the factory amp won't. So what I would do is use the factory wiring from the trunk to the doors (I've heard running wires into the doors is a bitch) and then get an aftermarket amp and run all new wires for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF there's no crossover or anything then how come the tweeters don't distort with any serious bass? Not trying to say that you are wrong. I'm just curious.
Don

·
Registered
112 Posts
Of course it has crossovers in the stock monsoon system to direct treble and bass to their appropriate speakers.

Running new speaker wiring isn't really that much of a bitch....If you decide that you wanna work on your car stereo, then do it right and do it all at once. The interior panels all come off lickity-split -- you can definitely do the install yourself. The door is easy to take off as well. For example, if you're gonna run wiring to add an aftermarket amp, then it's pretty simple to run new speaker wiring at the same time.

If you replace the component speakers, then you MUST also use the crossover that comes with them. There are plenty of places to stick the Xover module in the mk4. If you don't feel comfortable installing it yourself, I'd recommend just leaving the stereo stock (since it would suck to have to pay someone else to do it).

·
Registered
777 Posts
i love my factory speakers, well as soon as i replaced the head unit, sounds as good as my alpine type-r components in my ranger.... best factory system ive heard in a loooong time, like i said replace the factory h/u it doset do your speakers ANY justice!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the reply's. I changed the head unit and the stock speakers are more than up to the challenge for now. The wife has decided that these will work. Good thing too.
Thanks again,
Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts