VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a new jetta and was just wondering if other people have got the monsoon stereo upgrade. If so is it worth the extra money? I've heard the system in a 2 door golf and was impressed, but is it as good when it's in the bigger jetta?

thnaks,
joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a well rounded system. The bass is above average for a stock system, and the highs are there if you push them hard enough. But... I must admit I had mb quarts in my last car and the dominate the crap out of the monsoon system... it's not even fair to compare the two and I found the quarts on ebay brand new very cheap. Bottom line is if your not too picky or used to aftermarket equipment then it is more then you will need.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
monsoons nice man. i like it. im not sure how much more the upgrade is but you could probly get a better sounding system for the same price. not sure how big ya are on your music but ya know. for me. i dont need ALOT of bass. i got one 10 given too me and it hits just nice. i really dont like that lowd bass, gets obnoxious after a while. but the monsoon is clear and crisp and thats the best part. (sorry for rambling)
rich

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback. sounds like monsoon is the way to go.

one more question though. what is included in the monsoon. is it just amplified stock speakers or is it an entirely different system, deck and all?

I recently had my stereo stolen so that is why I'm thinking a more subtle approach.

thanks again,
joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
The amp for the monsoon sits up underneath the rear shelf in the Jetta, accessible from the trunk. I think the stereo is the same except for the internals in the deck; when you turn it on the display reads "MONSOON" for a sec. Can anyone confirm that you can't tell between base and Monsoon stereo decks? I know the Monsoon is offered in Subarus as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i think the monsoon system sucks..as soon as i got my gti i rippe dit out and put alpine deck and infinity component and hooked my subs up..no more distortin baby! way better sounding...certain sounds in songs come alive with a good set of components..i didnt hear thos sounds with my monsoon

·
Registered
12 Posts
how do i know if i have the monsoon system, i can't seem to find a built in amp anywhere like every1 says there is(btw jetta mk4)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the monsoon system in my Jetta and I have to admit that it sounds a hell of a lot better than the one in my sister's 2002 Z-28 Camaro. But then again VW really thought about sound imaging. definately worth the extra dough

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still have the stock monsoon deck in my 2000 Jetta. I am stuck between an Alpine CDA-7897 and a Kenwood KDC-X859... what do you all think and recommend???

·
Registered
112 Posts
The monsoon system is pretty terrible, in my opinion. The tweeters are crappy and made of what appears to be paper. The woofers aren't much better with a tiny magnet. At least they have rubber surrounds and aren't also made of paper. I found the bass to be somewhat boomy and distortive. Get it only if you would never put aftermarket audio stuff in your car. Oh, and if you decide to get it (either system i guess), make sure you test out the stereo extensively in the particular car you are gonna buy to make sure you don't get one that rattles at volume.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me getting the monsoon wasn't an option.. It came in a package with the sunroof, that's why I'm surprised that many of you are asking if its worth it. Had it not been a package I prolly would have opted out of the monsoon and put in something else. All that aside, the monsoon is above and beyond the standard system. However, if you're a bass freak, save the cash and put in something you like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts