VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having alternator issues and thought they were solved....but then again, thats what I get for thinking!

2002 Jetta 1.8t, 75k miles

I was driving the car when all of a sudden the battery stopped charging. The alternator was bad, the pulley had seized up, and it needed to be replaced.

SO, I bought a re-manufactured one and put it in. (Thank god for a DIY someone posted!)

After installing the new alternator, my battery was dead, so I charged it. After charging, for some reason, the battery light was still on so I drove my car to AutoZone (expecting to buy a new battery). The battery was still under warranty, so they replaced it.

They tested my car again; no output from the alternator. The guys says either the alternator is bad, or the connections are. However, when I amd driving and I accelerate quickly, the battery light starts to flicker, as if it wants to turn off...and I wish it would

It was a bitch and a half to get the new one in, but I could do it over in much less time now that all the bolts have been loosened and cleaned. All the connections were tight though, and I'm not sure what I could have done wrong. Could the tensioner not be fully engaged? It seems pretty tight. I dont know where to look from here, and if I go looking at stuff under the hood, I feel like it would be a waste of time, and without direction.

So my question is, where do I go from here? What would be my best guesses in terms of what to look for/at? And again, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your new altenator could be bad. Just because it's remanufactured does'nt mean its good. I would take it out and have autozone test it. They will test it for free.
Yes, that would be a good idea.

However, when I purchased it from Pep Boys (even though I swore to never give them business again), I asked them to test it for me. They said their testing machine couldn't test these alternators. So, I just took it home and put it on.

Now, here's where I am thinking I really F'd myself. When I was at Pep Boys, I noticed the box had been opened, and the Alternator had pollen on it (I live in Georgia, it gets on everything here). This signified to me that it had been taken out of its box. I asked them if it had been returned and the half-bred employee with only 3 teeth replied "Um....I dont think so"

So, will autozone be able to test it if I take it out? For sure? Is there anything else I can do other than completely take it out again?

*Im in the middle of finals week, and the last thing I want to do, other than study, is take out my alternator again.*

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I got back in the car today and the battery light was just flickering no matter what i did. It seems like the connections are bad. I guess i'll take it apart and make sure the connections are tight and if they are, i'll go ahead and take it out to get it tested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, problem solved!

The B2+ Connector (battery two? Not sure what this is for, i imagine another battery or electric source to charge or power) isnt supposed to be hooked to anything. After taking it out, I noticed that it's bolt was a little loose. So, i just tightened the bolt, put it back in and worked like a charm.

I guess it was leaving the circuit open. I tightened it without disconnecting any of the wires, so I am positive thats what it was.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to cut into this thread, but I see that you came out ok...

I wish my charging issue is this easy!! My 03' Jetta VR6 is having charging issue as well. The battery drained almost to nothing after 4 days or so. I have had 2 rebuilt Bosch alternator in this car and a brand new interstate battery and still having the issue. I bought off my friend a known good original Bosch 120 amps alternator installed it and still having the same issue. I've tighten every connections that I can see or think off, I even cleaned the contacts with sand paper and electric solution and still no go.

I checked and make sure there are no lights that left on and the car does recognized if the door are opened or not as well.

I just about to give up on this car and roll this POS into like a Kia and trade for another without worries.

I don't know what else to do at this point.

Help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to cut into this thread, but I see that you came out ok...

I wish my charging issue is this easy!! My 03' Jetta VR6 is having charging issue as well. The battery drained almost to nothing after 4 days or so. I have had 2 rebuilt Bosch alternator in this car and a brand new interstate battery and still having the issue. I bought off my friend a known good original Bosch 120 amps alternator installed it and still having the same issue. I've tighten every connections that I can see or think off, I even cleaned the contacts with sand paper and electric solution and still no go.

I checked and make sure there are no lights that left on and the car does recognized if the door are opened or not as well.

I just about to give up on this car and roll this POS into like a Kia and trade for another without worries.

I don't know what else to do at this point.

Help!
When you connect the battery terminal do you head some sort of clicking noise?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts