VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next time i change my oil i was thinkin about switching to Mobile 1 full synthetic and an AC Delco filter. I have been using Castrol GTX and fram filters up to now. My car has run on conventional oil for at least as long as i have owned it, and im pretty sure it used conventional befor that. My car is a 1997 vw passat VR6 and has 87000 miles on it and i was wondering if i would experience any problems with the switch(leaks, etc...)? Anyone here ever make the switch with a high mileage car like mine?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
an ac delco filter? NO NO NO!!! Go to a VW shop... buy a filter there. Like a Mann filter, or Bosch. It should be all black with white lettering on it... all the good VW filters, no matter who makes them are. Or go to the dealership... buy a filter there. Anything else is substandard... and I wouldn't have it on my car. ESPECIALLY Ac Delco.

Synthetics are good. I run Valvoline in mine... works fine, costs less.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey b4 you switch to synthetic make sure they flush your system, if your system is not flushed the engine could blow

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2 point slow:
i use mobil one synthetic, 0W-40 european car formula. as for a filter, i'm still unsure...what does everyone think of mobil one filters ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know other poeple made the strange NO canister type oil filter - or is that only for the VR6?

[ December 15, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
It might be a good idea to have them flush your engine before the switch, but...

I can't see how it would be possible to get ALL the old oil out for a totally clean switch?? Nor can I see how your engine could blow, but maybe cozmic had some experience with this??

As for making the switch... I drive a 98' Passat (1.8t), 68,000 miles. I made the switch to synthetic about a year ago (It must've had about 57,000 miles at the time).

The switch was really not a big deal. Everything seems pretty much the same as with conventional oil... just the cost for an oil change is about twice as much as regular oil.. but since it's synthetic, you can go approx. twice as long between oil changes.

One thing though... I'm not exactly sure how accurate it is, but I've seen people here mention that... if you make the change to synthetic, you really shouldn't go back to conventional. I can't say why, just that I've seen it mentioned before.

Good luck!!

- Matty

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by motoman358:
i forgot to ad oil burining in the praenthesis next to leaks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so you know, you can edit a previous post by clicking this icon:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts