VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chello chaps after another long drive today I was thinking I need more music space in the dub. So I'm pondering purchasing an MP3 Player for the GTI. I wan't something external and easy to install (Plug & Play). I don't wan't to be swapping out the head unit either. I'm leaning with right now getting the Apple iPod 10GB. http://www.apple.com/ipod/ Seeing the VW Beetle commerical makes me want one even more.

Please posts your thoughts, links, comments or pics of your MP3 players in your ride. Help me decide!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
db, i plan on getting the same one and acutally hardwiring it to my cd changer so i can have the better sound quality then that tape adapter i showed you. Since you don't have the since din cd player, you may be able to wire it into that.... either way i say go for it.
jon

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Have you checked out PhatNoise? It's a 20GB system directly from VW. I'm not sure on the pricing but, I saw a brochure for it while I was sitting around the service cneter at my dealer.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The only reason why it will be perfect for you Dave is you are a MAC user.

Since my wife is a Mac user as well she would only get the Ipod.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I'm not a Mac user at all, I'm hard core PC trust me. But I just love the iPod b/c of the quality and it's a player that will be around for awhile. Second I did look into PhatNoise but the $795. price ticket it too much. I can get the iPod for less than half of that.

Keem em' coming!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
First I'm not a Mac user at all, I'm hard core PC trust me. But I just love the iPod b/c of the quality and it's a player that will be around for awhile. Second I did look into PhatNoise but the $795. price ticket it too much. I can get the iPod for less than half of that.

Keem em' coming!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Dave, I just figured you were because of the sticker on your dub.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey TF, for us non-mac's what would you reccommend?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

Jukebox Zen NX

At $299 and 30GB it is a steal compared to the above $749 unit.

I used to have their Nomad IIc and it worked seamlessly in the windows environment.

PS: Dave I thought this was the mac sticker on your upper rear windows and not like the color of your dub gives it away anyway
:

[ August 11, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Dave. highly recommend Ipod. I dont have one, but I know mac is solid about their products (he hem...Im a mac user)

thomas, that was das boot's car you saw the mac apple on.

josh- the ipod runs on both mac and pc's I do believe. please correct me if I am wrong. its usb connection.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Yeah Brian you are right. Sorry DB I stand corrected. This is what I saw and (dunno) why I thought it was your dub.

And yes the Ipod runs on both. However for $299 you only get the 10GB version. Do the math DB.

The 30 GB Ipod will create a $499 Crater in your wallet.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

Jukebox Zen NX

At $299 and 30GB it is a steal compared to the above $749 unit.

I used to have their Nomad IIc and it worked seamlessly in the windows environment.

PS: Dave I thought this was the mac sticker on your upper rear windows and not like the color of your dub gives it away anyway
:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a Autobot logo...not the apple silly!

·
Registered
273 Posts
i'm also lookin at the 10gig ipod. i was thinking about hardwiring it, but apparently vw mutes everything but the stock cd changer when it's connected to the head unit (?) so you have to get a cable with vw's code to actually hear music from it, and i've seen them for around $80 so i'm keeping my tape adapter. or is there another way to hardwire an mp3 player w/stock monsoon head unit that i don't know about?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I don't understand why you guys are so hot on the iPod, really?

It has alarms and other bells and whistles but isn't it all about how much music you can store? Think... Think Think.

10GB vs 30GB for the same price. That is HUGE!!! difference.

PS: Dave my bad, what's an autobot badge anyway?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Sorry to tell you but Nomad has been around way way longer.

It is your decision and it is your money. You realize that IBM produces about 45% of all Apple products right? Just an FYI.

And about 70% of the Imac. If in doubt visit 14th Avenue in Markham. Where I worked.

There is so much people don't know about marketing and binds companies have these days. At that very location (which has 36 Truck loading docks) there are 2 blocks dedicated for White Boxes which Dell (yes DELL) gets.

As far as me not hearing about Autobot, I never watched Wizard of Oz either and I didn't grow up in North America.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
This is the Autobot symbol.

It's from the cartoon show transformers.
Well depending on what each person wants, some people like have a color match screen while others don't care. Some people want lots of memory while some only need a little. When it comes down to it. it's just more personal choice on what people want and who they trust. Many people might have not heard of Nomad and might not trust their product just yet. While others have heard of i-pod and have heard how great it is. When i finally get a job and have money to spend, i'll be looking at diffrent types of MP3 players to see what best suits me.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Jon.

According to that link you gave us, Rich the Nomad Zen lights up Blue which is a bonus.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyaneye:
Hey DB - If you go this route, take a look at the DIY a guy from here posted about his IPOD. Sorry, it's from boretex, but it's really good. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=509131&page=1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was me who posted it! lol

i have to agree with thomas on this one. the creative nomad has the best bang for your buck and is also one of the best! i don't know good u guys are with math(
) but the nomad works out to have a lower cost per gigabyte than the apple ipod.

we all know that each of us tries to support vw one way or another by purchasing products associated with them but when it comes down to money and quality i would certainly turn my back on vw and go for the nomad!

also someone mentioned longevity with this product. the nomad series has been out ever since mp3's were being used to compress music for downloading and creative has been around since pc's first started using 8 bit sound! so i don't think there will be a problem with any software conflicts or anything else for that matter.

[ August 11, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

[ August 11, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I don't understand why you guys are so hot on the iPod, really?

It has alarms and other bells and whistles but isn't it all about how much music you can store? Think... Think Think.

10GB vs 30GB for the same price. That is HUGE!!! difference.

PS: Dave my bad, what's an autobot badge anyway?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is why I like iPod
1) It's been around for a few years now. I feel other players are once and done.

2) Apple - Speaks quality.

3) Design and Interface sells me. It's clean and would look sweet in the dub.

4) VW is partnered with Apple with the New Beetle Promo

5) Software and Access. will be around for a few years unlike others.

6) 10 GB is plenty for me, I will be luckly to fill that.

P.S. Autobot is the Good Guys on the Transformers...if you didn't have one as a kid shame on your parents.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts