VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had my first encounter with a GT this evening. The guy asked me if I had "juiced" it yet and when I said "no" he told me I was going to need to....I laughed...hard. Then, after I got a crappy jump off the line and spun my wheels for about 3 sec. he, how do I put it, "handed me my ass." Acutally, after I finally hooked up, he never pulled me, so, had I gotten a better jump with less wheel spin I would have suprised him. Not bad for having half as many cylinders!!! If only I'd of had the APR Stage III kit.......

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Of the one's i remember, i'm 2-1-1
Won older Honda CRX
Won older Eagle Talon
Tied 2002 Nissan Alitima 2.5 or 3.5 (never saw his rear. He where even till 80 then i was pulling ahead.
Loss 2002 Toyota Celica with TRD badges.
I had a bad launch against the Celica. When i started to take off, i tried turing the ASR off and had a slow ass launch. after i got into second he was about a car lenght's ahead of me but i was pulling on him and caught up.
jon

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I lost count on how many cars I have encountered.But let me tell you this :I lined up with a 1.8t jetta smoked it,lined up with a del sol smoked it ,recently a 71 chevy malibu he jumped me by a car and a half and never pulled any more ,a crappy newer pontiac sunbird I smoked him then a state trooper got me .But I was let go its good to know certain people I guess.Those a couple of cars I can remember off hand.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ive beat so many civics, I cant even count.

I raced a 9x accord that had the exhaust detached and a mk2 GTI at the same time last week and won, but that was in my wife's turbo beetle. Since it has the 17's and the michelins, it catches traction better than my glorious 15" continentals.

Raced a 76 Monte carlo, and beat it above 50, but he had drag gears and tore up the launch.

Raced my friends Saturn SC2, it was an easy kill.

My only real loss was an Integra(Old body non v-tech) and that was because we were on the highway and the damn govenor caught me. I pulled even with him until then though! I might add that mine is only the 150 HP motor, so I dont know why I can take "more powerfull" cars. Maybe I am just a good driver, whadda ya think v33?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my 4-banger record is 3-0
97 Civic V-tec
01 Focus
and a 97ish Prelude

This was just my first encounter with anything larger than a 6 cylinder.

Oh, if you count my good friends CBR, then I'm 3-1, but that's not exactly a "fair" match up is it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
heh heh...
Jetta(newer one)
Won 1: Acura Integra "Type R "

Corrado
Won 5, not counting riceboxes
Mustang 5.0
Honda Accord Coupe with some very nice stuff
Boss 302(VERY nice, just driver error I guess...sweet car)
300zx
B5 Passat 6-cyl

Lost 4:
An El Camino with the engine clearing the hoodline, I had no chance, haha
Mazda RX-7, the newer kind...very close tho

Toyota Supra Twin turbo

I guess motorcycles don't count here, though mine has only lost once...

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: dirtjumpwill ]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so let me ask all you MkIV guys, do you launch with the ASR on or off? The reason why I'm asking is cause it seems like no matter what I do my car just will not hook up. So, I'm always getting beat off the line, but I do make it up down the road.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have mine off cause when i shift into second gear, if the asr is on, when my wheels chirp, the asr kicks on and delay's it for a sec. Also, what rpm are you at before you drop the clutch??? i've read that you should be around 3000rpm.
jon

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
You have to turn the ASR off. First if you have it on and you redline in first gear it will cutoff and basically almost stop your car. This happened to me twice all ready. I tried pulling out fast in front of traffic and it cutoff. I was like F*CK, damn thing nearly got me in a accident. Second reason to turn it off your car will gain full power. If you are racing the car the car needs to flex and move on it's own. The ASR will control some of this; wheels chirping, exceleration, etc.

Also when you dyno the car you need to have this off as well. The funny part is when you turn it off then dyno your car the ECU light it stays on for the first time you drive and hit the brakes. It's basically saying whooa you just drive 120 MPH and you didn't move the car wadup?

You find the best reaction times with the ASR off. For my VR6 I gain the best performance shifting between 5 G's and 6. All though I have a lead foot and I do redline sometimes. I've been trying not to do this much lately. I drive the GTI like it was stolen so I have been baby'in her lately.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if I take mine up to anything over 2500 it just melts the tyres, and even at around 2500, they still don't hardly hook up at all. I know part of it is due to the fact, and why VW did this I still don't know, but it's got the all season tyres. Also, there is no LSD and that would help alot too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dohcvw:
How about instead of being dumbasses on the street you take it to the track.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to my "find text", you were the first person to even mention the street

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Heres my view(like anyone really cares):

Streeting is a common part of the american lifestyle. It happened in the 50's on main street, and it happens in office parks today. The difference is that todays streeters seem to ignore their surroundings.

My personal ethics are as follows:

Dont race on a busy street. Dont race near schools. Dont race near cops. If winning the race is risking your life, its better to lose a race.

I don't race alot, but when the conditions are right, I enjoy putting some smack down. As a unmodified car, going to the track is kinda depressing, because I cant compete with a $65000 camaro.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
hey guys,
I was wondering how I turn my ASR off? I push the ASR button on when it's raining, but is it on when I don't push the button? I notice when I floor it in 1st, ASR blinks on my dash, and the wheels stop spinning. So is my ASR just on automatic? What's the deal? Someone please explain. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
The ASR is automatically on when you start the car. To turn off the ASR push the button and the yellow hazard icon will appear. When it's on and say on a rainy day and your wheels slip it will flash. When it's off the icon will stay lit and you can rev, smoke the tires and play all ya' want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts