VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums! Just thought I wanted to share my DIY wheel refinish project. Got most of my ideas on what materials to use from Fukn Dubn.....

A bit of a story on my 337:

Bought the car used for 6k and has 86k miles on it right now, now with a price like that there must be a few things wrong right? The previous owner put curb rash every single BBS RC on the car! Needless to say after I put my winter wheel sets on I started my refinish project.

Materials used:

Lets start with abrasives.....
180 grit dry sandpaper
220 grit
400 grit
800 grit
A 3M finish removal wheel as seen below (works great on the corroded areas)

Now on to paint/chemicals

Rustoleum 2 in 1 filler sandable primer
VHT Satin Black wheel Paint
Acetone to remove the wheel weight adhesive

Steel Epoxy filler putty

Also used some dish soap and steel wool to remove the corrosion, dirt and brake dust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So lets have a look at the damage eh?

BAM! Keep in mind these are not the same wheels! There is rash on every......single.........one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the 3m abrasive pad to clean up the curb rash as much as possible along with the corrosion. After washing the wheels and cleaning out the curb rash, I began using the steel epoxy putty filler

After letting it harden I found it easiest to use a wide face wood chisel to scrape the excess putty off that way I could sand through it faster..

Here is it is all sanded

Then began the process of roughing up the factory peened finish to give the primer something to grab on to. I sanded the entire wheel with 180 grit all by hand and took off any heavy duty corrosion with the 3m pad. Then after a good wash with dish soap and steel wool, began the process of priming.

And that is as far as I have gotten so far! Looking forward to getting the primer sanded a bit to remove a few rough spots and getting the base coat on!

·
4,054 Posts
Wish you luck. I ran into issues with that filler when i tried to repair my rc's. Luckily things worked out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish you luck. I ran into issues with that filler when i tried to repair my rc's. Luckily things worked out.
What kind of issues are you talking about? I found that the putty is super hard to sand but that was about it. Im looking forward to painting tonight.

·
4,054 Posts
Well my outside lip had some damage to it and I tried to use the putty as a filler but once the tire was put on it would pop the filler right out. It just couldn't hold the pressure. As long as you use it just for light curbage and not a structural part of the wheel you should be good.

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
Yep, I too have a set or two of wheels in need of refurb. looking into space heaters for the garage now so that I can do some work this winter.

This looks very close to the process i am going to use as well for some pitting and light surface leveling. Good work, keep it up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I too have a set or two of wheels in need of refurb. looking into space heaters for the garage now so that I can do some work this winter.

This looks very close to the process i am going to use as well for some pitting and light surface leveling. Good work, keep it up!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! :K:

Got my first two coats of paint on the wheel face this evening....my garage is pretty cold and I had to hook up some space heaters to keep the temps right for the paint

Here is the first coat

and the second coat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the input! It was my first wheel of the project, maybe I was getting used to the angles and trying to cover all the spokes. No runs tho! The camera doesn't do it justice :K:

I put the final coat on last night still have a few touch up spots in the spokes and stuff.... here is what it looks like with my BBS centers from euro image. Took 2k sandpaper and a wool pad with polish compound to the center caps to give them a near mirror finish

On these three center caps below the top one is the finish from euro image... and the bottom two have been polished

1 - 11 of 11 Posts