VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone can help me out, my '91 gti is getting up there in milage, i was wondering if i could drop a more recent 1.8 liter in, without too much extra work. do i need a new computer, etc??? i love my car, and i don't want to buy another, i just would like a lower milage engine, so that i can drive this car for another 10 years and not worry about it's reliability. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
if u can get ahold of a 2.0 16V i would yer not lookin at too much more money probly lookin at 2500 with tranny...low miles plus is bolts right up and u will need a new ECU

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the quick response, but how much more will the computer run me, if you've got any clue about that. also, a lot of people tell me that the 8 valves are much more reliable, than the 16 valves.....

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
A more recent 1.8L? Here in the US the 1.8L died in 92... so it's not exactly more recent (except the 1.8t).

So some searches on ABA or 2L 8v swaps here in the MK2 forums. We've covered it several times. It's probably the best swap for the money.

As for a 16v. They've proven to be a pretty big pain in the ass to swap into '88 and later Golfs and Jettas because EVERYTHING in the injection system has to be changed including the wiring harness, lines and pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts