VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was driving my car on Monday I heard my hydro lifters start to tick loud enough to drown out a jet engine. It happened just after I put in a qt of oil to compensate for my bad oil pan seal - i't being replaced this weekend. I figure the the additional oil pressure caused the problem. My only two guesses are that the oil filter ruptured or the oild pump went bad. If anybody has any additional ideas or knows what the problem it please write. I haven't had time to really look into it since it's winter here and I have no light at all.

An added bonus is before I had a chance to park the car I heard the melodious sound of metal on metal grinding from the engine bay. Lovely, eh?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
wow i hope ur baby is ok! keep us posted, never like to hear problems ive already heard enough problems with cars today

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
how low was it when you put in the extra qt.? maybe it was really low. Either way if you heard metal to metal it doesn't sound good. Does it run or is it pretty much done?

·
Registered
394 Posts
i don't know if you know,but something happened to me last month.i abused on the extra qt of oil,and on a hirev it just blowed into the oil breather!!oil in the mani and loads of smoke!!!then it was knocking,but it was because of the oil in the system.this didn't happened to you!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't hi-rev the engine, but a lot of oil did get kicked up into the air box, so I did get oil into the intake system. I think it's time for a tune up. lol

·
Registered
394 Posts
thats it!maybe you inserted to much oil and some got out through the breather!thats what happened to me!!!clean all the things up,and your good as new

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
How old is your oil pump? Sometimes, with new ones, the pressure relief gets stuck and overpressures the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's one of the things I though had happened too. Fortunately I fixed it. Like you said HidRo I did put too much oil in - I won't say how much
. Apparently the PCV valve sucked up all the oil into the intake and that cause my problem. I cleaned her all out and made a small mod to my air box to help improve air flow. I would have polished up the intake, but I didn't have the time or a spare manifold. Thanks for you help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts