VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard this happening ocasionally with aftermarket bulbs b/c most are cheaply made. But the stock bulbs blowing too? I would then think your seal is no good and mositure is indeed getting inside. Did you check to ensure that the back of the lamp is closed all the way? B/C I know it's really tight there. Also check all your connections to ensure there is no corrosion. Wouldn't hurt to replace the fuses as well. Best!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Something that commonly causes this problem is touching the glass on the bulb when you're installing the light. For some reason when you touch the glass with your bare hands, or scratch it, it messes with the life span of the bulb. This is probably the problem, because I know that getting those lights in the Mk4's can be tough sometimes.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
Something that commonly causes this problem is touching the glass on the bulb when you're installing the light. For some reason when you touch the glass with your bare hands, or scratch it, it messes with the life span of the bulb. This is probably the problem, because I know that getting those lights in the Mk4's can be tough sometimes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom is correct, I forgot to metion that as well. I usually try to not touch the bulb at all if you need to try using tissue paper around the bulb just in case.

·
Registered
759 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
Something that commonly causes this problem is touching the glass on the bulb when you're installing the light. For some reason when you touch the glass with your bare hands, or scratch it, it messes with the life span of the bulb. This is probably the problem, because I know that getting those lights in the Mk4's can be tough sometimes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The oils from you skin get on the bulb and when the bulb heats up the oil burns a hole through the glass ending the bulbs life.

·
Registered
500 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AWSALK3:
The oils from you skin get on the bulb and when the bulb heats up the oil burns a hole through the glass ending the bulbs life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...cool, thanks for the insight. Well, I learned my one thing for the day! Time to put brain in standby....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Also, make sure you are using the same type of bulbs as stock, different types make cause the bulbs to die prematurely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey everyone, I keep having a problem with my front headlights blowing out. Does anyone else have this problem. Is it moisture, or is it a manufacturer problem. Oh and they are aftermarket lights. But i put the original lights back in and it did it with those as well. And i even had the whole light kit changed--does that make sense.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thanks everyone for your information, i am going to have it checked out to see if the back cover is on tight enough, and change the fuses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts