VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody, my name is Sebastian and I have registered to this forum in order to get in contact with englishspeaking VW friends and see what you´re cooking over there. Okay...that´s not the whole thing :) I also wanted to show you what I call the Jet and tell its story to whom it may interest. You´re watching a ´90 Coupe CL, 1.8 8V (RP). 5-gear manual t. which I bought 6 years ago in order to make it my first old-timer (here in Germany you get this "H" on your plates when it turns 30, which is gonna be like the knightly accolade to my car) and the one vehicle I´ll never sell again under no circumstances.

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/members/beefjetl97a-albums-jetillac.html

So: I kept it very close to Wolfsburg as I prefer a decent, clean original look.

The options that it came with:

-2-door bodywork
-5-gear manual transmission
-paint: metallic L97A diamond-metallic
-power steering
-central locking
-electric beam height control

...not too much, but even not too much to go kaput ;)

The few changes that I made over the years:

-lowered fixed 60 / 60 (ap absorbers, KW springs)

-BBS RM-012 15" 2-p.

-steering wheel Volkswagen Original from VW Polo 86C G40 pre-facelift

-front seats Volkswagen Original Sportseats from VW Golf MK2 GT /height adjustable

The front seats have their leans patched with the offical logo patch to the Rally Dakar 2008, which was a special one because it never happened due to a travel-warning for one or more countries in the roadbook. I stpotted this little treasure during a Paris-trip after Christmas 07, accidentially getting the fact about a week later :)

-audio installation: Pioneer-HU (I will spare out the model names here as you may have completely different ones in the US) with aux-in & stuff, 2-way component front system 13" (not visible as it simply replaces the original one), Phonocar bandpass sub 600W, Magnat Amp 4 Ch. (<--the weak part in in the chain)

That´s it, so far...I currently plan to take it just a little lower for the future, and it will need me to buy some new absorbers for the rear axle...the ones I currently use are WAY too soft when it comes to a higher curve speed. Also important: there has to happen something, talking about the interior :)

But let me give you an impression about the Why no options and what I did do to get my Jetride.

First: It´s all about a very special feeling, representing not less than a tribute to my childhood and my family.

I am the big brother in my family, my sister is two years younger and so have we met more than just often in the back of my parent´s ´86 alpine-white VW Jetta Mk2 2-door.
Sweet memories...and a handful of the typical highlights of every childhood, as there were for example: the countless high-noons right in the middle of the armrest over whatever nonsense with all the intrigues that a little sister can spin (and the harmless, well-dosed "effect" being caused by a big brother´s hand ;) ), the funny moments before somebody says something when mom and dad and so we all got raped by the roadmap again, and all the good times we´ve had, the great things we´ve witnessed in and with our Jet. I still remember sitting on the rear right side as if it were yesterday, watching the street and the speed over my father´s shoulder, listening to my Walkman and dreaming it was me driving this Jetta. This cool Jetta that I had been loving from the first time I puked over myself and the backseat because I wasn´t used to ride on something without the possibility to open a window. It would have needed a back-door for that, for god´s sake there wasn´t one - otherwise I would certainly have bought a limo in the following. Anyway, I was dead sick and first vomitted over a Mickey Mouse comic book right 30 minutes after we had gotten the keys ... and for four or five other times during the whole 200 mile trip home from Nuremberg...I also remember an extraordinary heavy appetite that evening.

FINALLY:
I´ve had my Corollas and old BMW´s and stuff before and still have. Last year I´ve had an ´98 Audi A6 Avant, a BMW E36 touring and a Volvo 850 T5 Estate, but it is always "the extra car" which I can otherwise leave out easily for a while.

Anyway..the important thing is: To me, there were no more interferences to execute - in early 2007 I ended up needing this Volkswagen, considering myself the forthcoming final owner of what I was about hook. Not being a habitual Wolfsburg friend until that day nor until today, it wasn´t a decision I made under brand-related aspects at all. Let´s not be unrealistic - 2-door 16V´s are more than just hard to find. So it had to have not less than the 1.8 8V engine, 5-gear, power steering (<--priority Charlie, I would have managed to get one installed otherwise) and, most important, only 2 doors. Body to be in at least ok-condition. That doesn´t sound over the moon, does it? But these Wagens are kinda hard to find today, I´ve had no idea before I wanted to get one. At this moment, there are only 32 2-doored Jettas available here in Germany..half of them are what we call a "Kackfass" (<-- a brimmed...not chamber pot but the kind you shove under your ..backside and take a seat on a plank with a hole in the middle). The other half is split Mk1´s and the real ones. Sort out the wrong engines and there is maybe half a dozen worth a visit.

"Go for it!" I thought, not knowing that from now on nothing would happen for the next 5 months. I´ve spent 100s of hours surveilling the internet, calling retarded people, taking dumb answers with a smile, trying to get informations out of these guys, listening to stories of like-new cars and wasting time and loads of gas discovering a row of "pearls". rusty old freaked-up and ridden cutters that sounded like buckets filled with nuts and bolts being mounted to the front-axle and something in the back.

Then, on a monday morning in November, it was there...1st hand, 50.000 miles only, silver, 2-door, manual gear, complete service history. The owner: the mechanic of an over 90 year-old man who had 5 first names and given back his driver´s license the other week. Ernst Josef Peter Wilhelm Voss...amazing. It took me more than just one attempt to memorize that name :)

Time was money and so we needed to get Dortmund immediately - one of the Jettas I wanted to visit a month ago just wasn´t there anymore when I arrived because somebody else had been the early bird that day and paid 300 bucks more than agreed.
A friend-apprentice who worked at the bodyshop of our branch agreed...no, dared to come with me. We looked up the trailer-rentals while he told that we could take his BMW for getting the job done.
The same evening, we were fixing something in his garage having a beer, the BMW didn´t start any more...OBD diagnosis showed out something wrong with the diesel pump which gave a wrong signal to whatever. after a while, he got it fixed and we were sighing with relief. But then he stopped the engine once more, turned the key to ignite and... there it was again.

We couldn´t manage to get another car for the trip until the next day and so he came to pick me up early in the morning with a BMW Estate that was supposed not to be turned off at any time until we had come back home again...funny feeling - no matter who´s driving, everybody sit on your hands all day and don´t follow the reflex when you have to wait or leave the car for a minute!!

But we finally made it, and when we had found the workshop, the mech and I got into small-talk easily. He sweared that all the car dealers out there, without any exception, are ruthless criminals (which made me have quiet party inside as I was undergoing an apprenticeship as an automotive sales rep at that time). He lowered the price a bit when I had told my Jetta family-story. I finally paid 1.300 Euros for it (which is I think about 1.800-1.900 Dollars) and was completely surprised. We finally got it on the trailer, not having found one single sprinkle of rust on the car. Before, I had went around it with a coating-thickness-meter...and Bingo, the body was still untouched and found itsself in a near-mint condition, only showing the typical corner-kicks of the years on the bumpers of an old man´s car. The Jetta was unbelievably clean and scratchless on the inside, giving a very tight, fresh impression as it even smelled like every new Volkswagen does. This is not a legend, many have taken a nose and mentioned it although I didn´t notice it. The car obviously had never been ridden too hard, the only "complaints" that I was brave enough to come up with in the presence of this totally fantastic, young car were: Steering wheel at 01:00, car pulled slightly to the right side at the test ride; all electric light in- and outside was flickering due to a defect power transformator of the generator (35 Euros): radio reception: Zero (antenna cable, Zero Euros); steel-rims partially rusty (just for laughs).

When everything was said and I walked off to have my 300-mile trip home...literally stumbled on my 3 legs that I had to manage at that moment, face to face with the new last car of my life (not the only one...just the last one).

Amusing: Even the roadbook was filled with every single piece of paper that is in there when you get your new Wolfsride. For the last 5 years, Mr. Voss had driven MY car (which I had decided the moment that I first saw it through the gate) for 500-700 kilometers only each year, as I could look-up in the service book. I also discovered a radio-frequency-map of only West Germany, which made me smile more than just once as we are proud to say: We come from Leipzig, which is in the former East Germany and so we have had no car until the 1991 which was after the reunion. There are also many other parts of the car on which "Made in West Germany" is emprinted, which uses to be fun to me and my Jetta-lad when one of us yet found another one while fixing or installing something.

--By the way: I love all those imprints - even if they lie. This is my Volksride also LEGALLY... Eastside-Lowside :D got it, you all can have a box-out or whatever for who gets the keys to it off my cold, dead hand :D Nobody´s gonna take away my Jetta...nobody, I would break a bone or two to defend it. Don´t call me mad.. normally, I count myself to the chilled side. But where I live parking space is a true good and so I can´t always choose from a number of options. there is a night club (electro/hip hop) around the corner and on a winter´s night in 09 I woke up in the night hearing people laughing outside, not moving on. I headed to the window and watched them having a snowball fight getting the ammo from the parked cars around. I came, saw and it got me goosebumps within the split of a second when this dirty little piece of ... cake got down on the hood of my Jetta starting making snow angels on it. That wasn´t me opening the window shouting something at them, turning around getting on pants and shoes, grabbing a hammer (!) and then....it was me again, I watched out the window and saw them heading down the street. There is a dent in the hood and severl scratches on the roof and trunk left from that dark, cold night...in 08 they "opened" my car in they night trying to start it until the battery was done. Didn´t find the killswitch for the gas pump then, hah. But my right door has started rusting right under the handle. They smoked a blunt in there (i found the rest of it and the wrapping) tried to get the radio out (which was fixed to the max ;) ), broke the panel of it instead and cutted every single cable under the steering post. So yes, you could say I would maybe overreact when a stranger´s hand touches my car.

That´s it...what´s your story with your rides, is there one? Feel free to post it, I´d enjoy getting your side. And of course, tell me what you think about my Jetmobile. I haven´t seen too many Mk2´s on the forum gallery so far which is quite an interesting fact to me.

Hope you have read until this point, I may thank you for your attention ;)

All the best regards, VW friends!

Sebastian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there, thank you for your welcome ;) I have posted a link to the gallery of my car, you can find it up there in the first part of my introduction!

Can´t see it? In that case just reply, I´ll set it up another way then.

Best regards from the Motherland of your ride :D

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Yay more Jetta Coupes!! I hate that you have big bumpers :(. I want a set. Your car looks great, btw!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tom,

don´t worry about the bumpers...I am currently trying to get a pre-face front bumper fitting to the rear one that I already have. No, I´m not gonna change forever as it is, in fact, a ´90 model..but I always wanted to see it with small bumpers, a little lower, with white-striped tires and stuff.

In my opinion, the pre-89 built Jettas with the small bumpers, the old 7-rip grill and decent front spoiler looked much more elegant...mainly talking about the two-door model but even the limos.

By the way, where can I find more pictures of your Jetta? Nice Mk4 also..fine car, just nothing for me to drive :)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
That's exactly what I have. 87 Coupe, 7 bar grille, small bumpers, small valance. I like it the way it looks, but I have an obsession with Coupes with big bumpers and single round headlights.

You can see pictures here: http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f13/87-jetta-coupe-build-51981/

newest pictures of what it looks like today are on the last page.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts