VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Passat 94 VR6 sad story. I bought this car used a year ago. Few weeks later, I noticed some problems when shifting. Took it to the Dealer. They told me its an ignition coil problem. Also told me they have to make some re-wiring modification for this model. Paid $750.
On my way back home, same problem still there. Took it back to them, told me it is the transmission and recommended a transmission shop. I took it there. I ended by paying around $3000 for a transmission overhaul. I learned that they had to take the transmission out one more time after fixing it the first time and found some other parts broken. I got it from them and then few weeks after, same problem again. They took it out again and found another part broken. I had a 1 yr warranty on repair. Few month later, it broke again. I took it back to them. This time they told me the torque converter is broken and they had to replace it. Not only that but (in my mind to get out of covering the repair with the warranty) they said that the Transmission Controle Module is shorted and that they found that it belongs to a different VW model (the last letter is different in the model No.) Even after replacing the TCM, the car still has a problem. To make the story short, the last thing they said is that the car needs also an Engine Controle Module, a Throttle positioning Switch and had bad wiring.
My question to you guys, does this story make sense so I have to pay them what they are asking for and get it fized, or they are bunch of thieves and in this case what do you think I should do?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have heard of some serious electrical problems with the vr6 passats (older models)
It sounds like they're just replacing parts and didn't really diagnose the problem. I would think about lemon laws too. You should get your money back. Good luck and also not all vw's have problems like this and don't hate the brand for one bad experience. Hop everything turns out okay.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I'm not sure exactly the time frame on a lemon law, it might be too late for you. But I would definitely do something about the places you're getting your car fixed. If they keep making you pay I would do some serious complaining...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
yeah i would check out the lemon laws. other then that i would ay get a diagnostic (SP).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
thats a ton of shit. i'd be so fired up over all that. how much did u originally pay for the car? how many miles does the car have? hope things work out ok for u.

·
Registered
499 Posts
find a private mechanic who knows vw's. I would try to stay away from the dealers and chains. Most of the people working there don't care about the company's reputation so they don't care about keeping you happy. Ask around, I'm sure someone can refer a good shop to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts