VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here...and all i hear is apr apr apr...well i ditched my apr for a revotechnik sms 3...it gave me 220-235bhp and can adjust timing and low or high boost pressures. my car is a mk 4 anniversary(337 i think)1.8t(180bhp). if any1 knows of any decent downpipes and inteercoolers id appreciate the help. gti235bhp

·
Registered
6 Posts
220-235bhp...what other mods do you have if any?
I am getting ready to purchase a '03 GLS Jetta 1.8t and want to mod it out after the initial brake in period has past but voiding the warranty sort of concerns me.
Your MKIV I am assuming is still or should be still covered under warranty, have you had any issues with your dealer on the mods (if any besides chip).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok, after a quick jaunt around the web. I can't find squat on this company. The audi forum had a thread, but it was much like yours, nothing to really inform me that you don't just work for a new tuning company out there. They don't have the dyno sheets for the GTI's up yet on their own website. We have no pics, and the scariest thing of all... I went over to vortex(God help me) and did a search for revotechnik, and got nothing. nada. Now with as much talk as that place has, I would think that SOMEONE would have posted about this by now.

I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything, Im just a very inquisitive sort. Do you have any pics, or a scan of your dyno pull reciept? That is what others on this forum have done to show what their mods can do.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well i have heard of this type of chipping over in Europe before. I think it's a newer style that is just now catching on. About the numbers. they seem to be a little higher then what a chip would give you. I would also like to see some actual dyno numbers too so i can compare it to my APR chip when i have my car dyno'ed at IW.
jon

·
Registered
158 Posts
can't believe that this news has not hit over here, we have been discussing it for months now on 20vturbo.

It's simply a flash program for 1.8t, so no chip and no way for the dealer to void your warranty. Originally it was supposed to be released in January, but things have been backed up- They just now set up shop in Orlando and are expanding slowly but surely across the us- am still waiting for them to release a list of dealers. While I was waiting for them I decided to go APR, now that I did I might end up selling my chip and go REVO- there just seems to be more potential w/ revo and the fact that you can adjust specific fuel and boost levels- this system is a tuners dream.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>SPS1
This version of the Serial Port Switch (SPS 1) allows the user the ability to switch between different levels of performance via the diagnostic port. The user simply selects the program on the SPS, plugs it into the diagnostic port for a few seconds until an audible bleep indicates the program is loaded, and then removes the SPS.

SPS2
This version expands upon the functionality of the SPS1 by offering multiple performance programmes that are octane specific, along with the added feature of the security program. The security feature effectively leaves the car inoperable until the SPS2 is reinserted and set appropriately. The car will not start even if the thief has the key. There are no wires or "boxes" that are easily defeated and the car will not start even if the ECU is replaced.

SPS3
This version utilises the same features as the SPS1 and SPS2 with the added benefit of having variable boost and timing control. This functionality allows the user to adjust the car to varying degrees of performance by changing the boost pressures from the turbo. It also allows the user to use any grade of fuel at any time without the worry of damage to the engine. It also can be adjusted to take full advantage of race fuel or octane boosters that are typically out of the range of any performance software. All safety mechanisms and routines are left intact to prevent the user from setting the engine to operate outside of the safety limits.

The SPS 3 device allows the user to change the boost and timing of the vehicle. Some people wanted only 1 BAR programs for reliability and economy while others wanted 1.4 BAR for power. This gives the user the ability to select the desired boost level for what ever they are doing, be it a track day or a long trip. The adjustable timing allows the user to maximize power by adding or removing engine ignition timing. Some people like to use octane boosters for track days and this will allow the user to add more timing to fully utilize the added octane. While for the drive back they may want to fill tank with standard grade petrol to save money. This also allows the user to remove timing to provide a smooth and safe performance level with standard grade fuel.

Advanced Tuning Kit.

...our advanced tuning kit consists of a tuning CD, instruction manual and cable that works in conjunction with an SPS 3. It gives the user a greater degree of control, and also includes data logging facilities.

This kit gives the ability to run outside the window of safe limits of the vehicle.

The user is provided with a program to adjust the settings via a notebook computer. It is to be used for racing purposes only, and is accompaned by a comprehensive disclaimer!

The tuning software is supported by Windows® 95 or greater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here's the link to revo- forge-revo

heres some discussions that are being had on the subject-

20vturbo
audiworld
newsite review
vw vortex

ENJOY!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey, if you do sell your APR, let me know....

·
Registered
158 Posts
will do-

can't believe there is not already a discussion going on here about REVO

and fli- I dig the "modded" PIR signature

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Huh? What about my signiture? I don't get it, but my allergies are afecting my mental clarity right now. Here's a question, if all you are doing is flashing new programing onto the old chip, whats to keep the dealer from flashing over it every time you take it in for service, or do you just have the ability to reload it whenever you want?

·
Registered
158 Posts
the sig just reminded me of BOB BARKER on the Price Is Right(PIR).

From what I have read and my discussions w/ the guy at forge, the program is undetectable by the dealer and even if they were to reflash it, then that's one of the reasons why you buy the programer, also AFAIK as they get new programs they can send them to you to upload to your car.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
OK I get the price is right stuff now, the "help control the pest population, have your honda spayed or neutered" I get it. man, my allergies had my brain fried yesterday....

I guess the Revo thing sounds ok, but I wanna end up with the APR stage three someday, so tats why Im gonna stick with them...

·
Registered
75 Posts
im down, if i can see some numbers, im looking at the APR chip as well, but i do like the tunability and upgrade-ability of this software, 240hp would be pretty nice!!....if only it had diagnostics....

either way, im gonna have at least 235 by summer!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guys dont forget that the more boost you have the more you stain your engine. You need to look at the durability of the engine too. I know for a fact that VW engines can take a lot of beating and still perform. But i think that if you go revo, then you may want to look at upgrading tons of things to the engine like drive shafts etc, first your pistons and cam shafts at least then your engine would run so hot that you have to cool it better Yes that not only means your water cooling but also an oil cooler. Anyways it is not just more boost but also engine strain. dont forget that as your engine get hotter and hotter the power curve falls out. Anyway i am all for more power but i think there is a limit to make a car run just right and once that balance is found then you cant be stopped. Also our damn cars are not 4WD so we have traction problems too. Just a thought. Drive safe out there
Nav

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI152:
Guys dont forget that the more boost you have the more you stain your engine. You need to look at the durability of the engine too. I know for a fact that VW engines can take a lot of beating and still perform. But i think that if you go revo, then you may want to look at upgrading tons of things to the engine like drive shafts etc, first your pistons and cam shafts at least then your engine would run so hot that you have to cool it better Yes that not only means your water cooling but also an oil cooler. Anyways it is not just more boost but also engine strain. dont forget that as your engine get hotter and hotter the power curve falls out. Anyway i am all for more power but i think there is a limit to make a car run just right and once that balance is found then you cant be stopped. Also our damn cars are not 4WD so we have traction problems too. Just a thought. Drive safe out there
Nav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are misunderstanding what REVO will do, w/ the exception of their "advanced tuning kit" their program does not go outside of the engine's capabilities, I haven't seen alot of hard dyno data , but what I have seen puts their performance #s maybe 10% above that of APR, and I know of plenty of dubbers that APR was their first mod- w/o undergoing any internal modification. And from what I understand the 1.8t is fully capable of handling 300+ hp w/o any internal mods. Think about it, APR Stage III doesn't upgrade any internal parts. So why would you need to for REVO, unless of course you were planning to map your own upgraded turbo system w/ the "advanced tuning kit" and use the REVO like stand alone fuel management.

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI2001:
Well it looks like it's a good idea, but.... I didn't see anywhere on what the exact programs you would be getting. I saw about how some are octane specific, but no number gains or anything. Is there any other info that i can get?
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

keep checking the revo site- the guy at forge has assured me that dynos will be up "any day now". Like any company they are slower getting started than anticipated. The software has been released in europe for about 6 months now, but you have to remember the difference in fuel. They wanted to make sure their US #s were correct before released.

I kinda figured that the process would be like this, that's why I got the APR to hold me over in the meantime. But I am getting anxious as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoLLinVDub:
revotechnik wouldnt make a chip for the 2.0's would they?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eventually, yes. Now, no. The juanpointate is all that matters.

J/K

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well it looks like it's a good idea, but.... I didn't see anywhere on what the exact programs you would be getting. I saw about how some are octane specific, but no number gains or anything. Is there any other info that i can get?
jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK, We all love power and there is not one time when i drive that i wish i had more power. I agree with the fact that the 1.8T is a great engine for mods. I know it can take a lot. I would surely want it in my car. I was thinking about a stage three turbo upgrade. that is with a larger turbo charger but that is further down the road. Right now if i can get at least 220-230 at the wheels without a turbo charger upgrade that would be great. Like Jon and others are saying let wait and see the dyno's. And by the way i dont doubt that the 1.8T is not capable of such tremendous power but to me is all about being in sync with the rest of the components. I hope you guys understand what i mean. Take care lads and God I sound so pessimistic. Sorry guys like i said i am all for more power.

·
Registered
380 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:

Eventually, yes. Now, no. The juanpointate is all that matters.

J/K
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you wouldnt have added the j/k ur reply would have been a typical VWVORTEX post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts