VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm new. I have a 01' GTI VR6 (5-speed) with 46K miles on it. I have not really been looking into doing anything to it till now, some friends got cars and all of a sudden they are "Super Racer ZX-938".

Anywho, I bought this car with the knowlege that if I wanted to do anything to it I could, well, now I do so here I am.

What is the cheapest thing I could do that would start me off in the right direction? I would also like to mention that I know little to none about cars and the likes.

Thanks for any help.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Hello, and welcome. Today we will be discussing modifying your 12V VR6. Generally, the first step in modifying your Watercooled Volkswagen is to upgrade the suspension. Most VW enthusiasts tend to first upgrade their shocks and springs. This will dramatically improve the handling of your car. Following these upgrades, the best place to start is generally with air flow. Exhaust and a cold air intake are both good roads to travel down. They are also relatively inexpensive. Once you have completed these modifications, a good addition to your current modifications may be an upgraded ECU. This is accomplished by bringing your car to a certified installed of GIAC chips. This will add an additional 8-12 horsepower. These modifications should give you a noticable difference in the performance of your car. Once you complete these modifications, you will be ready to get into some more serious and in depth work, which will be covered in chapter 2, "Upgrading Engine Internals."

Thank you, and good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TrekGirl!

Straz-
Thanks for the tid bits (not sure whether or not that was sarcasm). I kind have a good idea of things like you mentioned, but what I'm looking for is what to put in it. Like what are good brands? Please give me some suggestions like that. Thanks again.

-Matt

[ February 09, 2004: Message edited by: WyteStealthNinja ]

[ February 09, 2004: Message edited by: WyteStealthNinja ]

·
Registered
735 Posts
Straz wasn't being sarcastic. Just explaining it as simple as he could, since you stated you're a new guy and don't know much about cars. Reminds me of myself!

Welcome to the forum! Peeps are real friendly here, I found that out almost immediately when I joined. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Prof Straz is right on the money. As far as brands, I belive GIAC is the chip upgrade of chioce for the VR6 folks. There are no "best" as far as the other components, it is a matter of what you are hoping to achieve through your modding.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Welcome, Brett nailed it on the head. Once you have a certin mod in mind post up and we should be able to steer u in the right direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose "sarcasm" was not the right word. eh. Thanks for all your help so far!

Ok, what kind of mods... I like the handling idea, what should I do to help that out? I'm thinking something that will help navigate curved roads anywhere from 40-80mph. Anything that would pick up acceleration would help, not worried about top speed too much (I have no desire to go 150mph!
). Not a big fan of drags, I like more of the point A to point B race.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WyteStealthNinja:
I suppose "sarcasm" was not the right word. eh. Thanks for all your help so far!

Ok, what kind of mods... I like the handling idea, what should I do to help that out? I'm thinking something that will help navigate curved roads anywhere from 40-80mph. Anything that would pick up acceleration would help, not worried about top speed too much (I have no desire to go 150mph!
). Not a big fan of drags, I like more of the point A to point B race.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, thats not what i meant but thats ok. I just meant that you could be lookng for lowering your car for stricly looks or strictly performance. Heres is my attempt...

Coilovers
Height adjustabily; Dampening/Rebound adjustments with Koni shock/strusts
$900~$1,200 range

Shock/Spring Combo
Brands to look for: H&R, Bilstein, Eibach, Koni, etc
$500~$600

Sway bars: Neuspeed, Shine, Eibach, etc
$100~$250

That should get you started on suspension, I'll let one of the VR guys talk to you about getting a little more "pep"

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Pretty much the definitive word in VR6 power: Supercharger. Or turbocharger. Although I think you would want to go Supercharger if you want more of an instant boost rather than top end power.

It is expensive, but I think it is worth it; I mean, an engine that has torque all the way through the rev band and makes good power is just a beautiful thing...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome. Very nice car too. I want one like it, and I'll have it by the year's end hopefully.

·
Registered
324 Posts
did somebody say vr guys? Well as far as intake goes (something I wish I had taken a different road down) the stock airbox is pretty good, the only thing that I have read about that is hands down a better product is the Carbonio cold air intake, as the guys on this site will attest to. Exhausts get a little blurry since there are a lot of good products on the market. I myself sport a Thermal Research exhaust and I love it, its easy to install and has a sexy growl to it. In addition to that product there is a Techtonics exhaust which is an exceptional product, Neuspeed, Milltek and a million others, if you search the forums there are a couple posts around here that focus specifically on exhausts. I would suggest checking them out. Chips, I would say the only one to go with in a VR6 is the GIAC (Garret) chip, it will run about 300 dollars and gives a decent gain in power (around 13hp). Suspension, as mentioned above, there is quite a range that you can go after, it sounds like you are into road racing (be careful!) so I wouldn't skimp in this area, it is cluch to have a good suspension set up if you are going to run your car on windy roads. H&R coilovers are amazing, but so is the price, they run about 1300 for front and back setup, and unless you plan on installing them yourself, there is that too. Installation will probably run around 200-500 dollars depending on who you have do it. I myself have Neuspeed sport springs and a Neuspeed front anti sway bar, which with install ran about 500, its not the best setup but there is still a noticable difference in performance.

Bottom line is this, if you plan on getting a high end product eventually, then just save and start off with it, cuz if you buy something middle of the road only to replace it, you will end up wasting money. Anyway, hope I could help, happy modding and good luck.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
And another VR guy chimes in with his $.02...

When I started the modification process on my car, it began with the Exhaust. Why? Because I hate dump style hidden tip exhaust systems, and the stocker had to go. In went the Milltek, loved it since. After that, in went an AEM CAI, also great. Following that, I installed a Turn2 lightweight crank pulley...didn't gain a lot of HP on that, but the engine revs up quicker. Then at Waterfest I chipped it, GIAC of course. Working with the other mods on the engine, the chip made a very big difference. I run synthetic oil at all times, I modified my MAF sensor housing (removed the screen, and polished the inside, in effect its a Ported MAF), and thats about it, power wise, for now. I still haven't gotten around to doing my suspension, but thats on the to-do list for this year. I have focused a lot of my attention on OEM modding, though. Not too many people have a German spec OEM Side Airbag/Heated cloth Recaro interior in their Mark 4...

·
Registered
777 Posts
AND #3

i started with exhaust for the same reasons as carson, i went for the milltek as well, next i got a carbonio CAI wich i love as well, the VR is a very distinct sounding motor with intake and exhaust, now im in the middle of suspention/sterio/wheel and tire upgrades wich should be done in the next month... its like lays chips.... you cant do just one!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Im right behind you Marcus...this one's 391...glad I have at least one person that agrees with me that stock dump exhausts suck. I needed to have those tips poking out...and the Milltek tips look like 24V VR6 tips till you look at them up close. Its stealthy.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WyteStealthNinja:

Straz-
Thanks for the tid bits (not sure whether or not that was sarcasm). I kind have a good idea of things like you mentioned, but what I'm looking for is what to put in it. Like what are good brands? Please give me some suggestions like that. Thanks again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The info I gave wasn't sarcasm, the way I tried to make myself sound like I was writing a formal essay was.

Brands:
Exhaust - Milltek, Thermal, or TT
CAI - Carbonio or ABD, although they are all pretty similar
Chip - GIAC
Shocks - Bilstein
Springs - Shine (stock ride height, but the best performance) or H&R (will lower about 1.5" and probably the second best performance)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
The info I gave wasn't sarcasm, the way I tried to make myself sound like I was writing a formal essay was.

Brands:
Exhaust - Milltek, Thermal, or TT
CAI - Carbonio or ABD, although they are all pretty similar
Chip - GIAC
Shocks - Bilstein
Springs - Shine (stock ride height, but the best performance) or H&R (will lower about 1.5" and probably the second best performance)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I did suspension, intake, exhaust, wheels, brakes, strut bar in that order. I'm happy with all of my decisions so far. You can see what I have done in my signature below. welcome to the forum, and congrats with your new dub. you will love your vr6!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts