VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for any advice you can offer relating to these questions and any I havent thought of. I purchased a 2011 and love it! It wouldn't pass smog because the check engine light wasn't working. The other day I took it apart intending to solder in a new l.e.d. and found instead a piece of black electrical tape over the icon, light works now!. It is throwing a code telling me to replace my intake manifold apparently. I want to do it right ...
1. Big difference on price. I can find replacements for $49.00 -$249.00 is there a difference? Will the cheaper ones do the job?
2. Little confused on the Gasket set. Is that something I need to order separately?
3. Should I do anything else while it is apart? i.e., timing chain, gaskets, carbon cleaning (not sure what that entails?)
4. Any questions I didn't think to ask?
Thank you in advance for any and all advice. I need all the help I can get. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing for sure I would do if u got the money is upgrade your plastic water pump to an aluminum one w a new drive belt too.....but dude....watch the video for r and r on the manifold.....do not end up me and everyone else and rip the cts wires out .......the bracket underneath will do this almost guaranteed.so you need to wiggle it out and check w mirror or helper from underneath as u lift the maniflold out not to rip those wires out of the connector.....it took me hours on first removal and now I can do it in a fraction of the time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plastic water pump? LoL Thank you I will do that now. Any thoughts on the $50.00 Manifold on ebay etc.? I know not to try and save a few bucks and create a bigger problem. But if they are acceptable and will work, I would rather not spend the $200 more....I will get the codes again and post them shortly. Thank you again by the way. You have no idea how much I appreciate talking to someone who has done it. I'm sure I can do it. It's the right the first time, part that concerns me.
So Far..
1.) Watch youtube videos
2.) Be very careful not to break wires "CTS" located underneath manifold, while removing it.
3.) Replace plastic water pump and belt while doing it. (Serpentine Belt)? My tension pulley is rattling so I plan to do that at the same time.
4.) Do Timing after im done.

?'s
1. Is after market less expensive manifold ok or do I need to get o.e.m.
2.Should this come with a gasket kit? Do I need a Gasket kit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Plastic water pump? LoL Thank you I will do that now. Any thoughts on the $50.00 Manifold on ebay etc.? I know not to try and save a few bucks and create a bigger problem. But if they are acceptable and will work, I would rather not spend the $200 more....I will get the codes again and post them shortly. Thank you again by the way. You have no idea how much I appreciate talking to someone who has done it. I'm sure I can do it. It's the right the first time, part that concerns me.
So Far..
1.) Watch youtube videos
2.) Be very careful not to break wires "CTS" located underneath manifold, while removing it.
3.) Replace plastic water pump and belt while doing it. (Serpentine Belt)? My tension pulley is rattling so I plan to do that at the same time.
4.) Do Timing after im done.

?'s
1. Is after market less expensive manifold ok or do I need to get o.e.m.
2.Should this come with a gasket kit? Do I need a Gasket kit?
I just bought a new manifold oem and will be doing it tomorrow. Done this job once to get at the water pump. If I were you I would just buy the oem one. The job is quite time consuming and I would not want to have to do it again. The sensor in the manifold is what usually goes wrong error so I wonder how long a 50 manifold would actually last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE. I JUST ORDERED AN OEM MANIFOLD. RIGHT NOW I REPLACED MY STARTER SWITCH, USED OLD CYLINDER BUT AM GETTING A "KEY NOT IN RANGE" ON MY DASH FRUSTRATING......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts