VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I got a Golf mkIV 1.6l that I need to spice up! I'm not able to sell it, cause of a couple of reasons which we will not go into here. Anyways, since I can't really do anything to the performance of the car, I might as well customize it. I've been going back and forth with how I want to style it, and I might just have came to a settlement.

I know that most people now a days are sick of "F&F" cars, but when you have a 1.6l, what else do you do!?

My first thought was to get some new rims, lower it, a front lip and a spoiler. Now I'm thinking that this isn't enough. I'm currently looking at a complete bodykit, MigaStyling · VW Golf 4 Styling pakke BMD (FST4-HST3-VWG4-S+VWG4-50-D). The site is in Norwegian but at least there are some pictures. Now my golf is black, and I don't see any reason to paint it any other color. I'm still not sure on how this bodykit would look like in black, but if there is any photoshoppers here, I would appreciate it if you could make the car look like the original black.

I'm currently running steel rims, so those would have to go... Any suggestions? I'm thinking steel/aluminium look with black trim or something like that, some advice here would be fantastic!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I must advise against that kit please. look into oem kits for the mk4.

20th lip
gli lip
votex
20th,gli,r32 sideskirts

oem tends to look best, and fit best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM was my initial plan, but it has grown a bit dull. I don't feel it would suit the purpose of the car. It's to close to stock, and we do really have enough stock mkIV where i live...

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
there are other things besides ricey body kits that can set a car apart from the others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x2 that bodykit is going to be so sweet, you won't' regret it. I don't see how that could go wrong, in anyway.
Do I smell a tad of sarcasm?

But honestly, how come people hate so much on body kits? People complain about the lack customizing and personalizing in just about any other area except cars...

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Body kits don't make it a show car. It's all about tasteful and classy modifications. Take this test.
Which one car looks better to you.
A)

B)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Euro cars by definition are just simple an clean cars. Try an keep it as OEM looking as possible but also creating something that's your own.

There is no conformity in using something purely as inspiration rather than imitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Body kits don't make it a show car. It's all about tasteful and classy modifications. Take this test.
Which one car looks better to you.
A)

B)
Both looks amazing! But I could never have the R32 styling on a 1.6l.

If you have any good websites that has a lot of styling parts, please share! They need the option to either send to Norway or to the USA. The best would be if they could ship to Norway.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Build the car for you not for others. Even if that means four different wheels and a purple aluminium universal wing found on the Saturn's of many 16 year olds.

The worst anyone can do is laugh and share a pic on facebook.
I'll say I've seen worse body kits, but since you asked for opinions if you want to put money into something why not put it into a car you can enjoy or like a nice set of coil overs or a cup kit, an intake and exhaust, some ceramic brake pads, a tune. Make the car more fun to drive without effecting fuel efficiency much.

It will never be fast but you don't need to go fast to have fun. It's very cheap to make an mk4 look good. Different oem lights, oem grilles, debadge the rear, add tint, 17/18 inch oem wheels. Cheap stuff.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
You are trying to make up for the lack of engine power with bad styling. There are plenty of people with lesser engines that run r32 kits as well as making them look fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I have come to a solution! New rims, black with white trim, coilovers, tinted windows, and make all the interior lightning white! Going to do some photoshop and see how it would look tomorrow :)

Any idea on how doable the lightning would be? I'm guessing the buttons for the window lift would cause the most pain...

Also, is it possible to take the climate control from a highline and put it into mine? I got the confortline. And I got a 2DIN media player, where the phono cables are a bit to long, so it sticks out about 2cm. Behind there is something that looks like some support for the dash in plastic, could I just cut that out to get my player all the way in?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
42draftdesigns sells a kit online that replaces all interior lighting with white LEDs. as for climate control, i heard its a complete pain and not worth doing.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
1. It's your car, build what you like.
2. Don't ask for opinions on the internet if you don't want to take the advice.
3. Body kits fit poorly and unless you have bodywork skills, they wil cost you A LOT to fit right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
42draftdesigns sells a kit online that replaces all interior lighting with white LEDs. as for climate control, i heard its a complete pain and not worth doing.
They did not have te best display of their products. Im guessing it's just at "easy" to get the parts of ebay.

I was also wondering a bit about rims. The current ones I have right now, are ET38, while the rims I find online are ET35. I'm going for 8" wide rims, meaning 225mm in width, with 40 in profile (18" rims). Will ET35 still work? Or will I end up with my wheels touching the body while I turn?

I'm been working my ass of trying to get rid of all the little errors with the car. Currently only need to fix my 2din player which sticks out about 2-3cm... As well as the wipers. Looking forward to the rims and coilovers now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts