VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have the extra 1500 bucks laying around get k&w coilovers. they are stainless steel and from what i know have good reviews. i wouldnt worry to much about them seizing up as long as u dont let the car be covered in snow for a couple days

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've never heard of coilovers siezing up. They have 2 big nuts that are threaded. just break them loose and turn it down or up then tighten them up against each other. There's piles of people who use them all year long. There are companies the TMtuning who sell coilovers for less then 700. I've never heard of adjustable springs. If you mean the sleeve type that go over a factory style strut then they are based on the same design as true coilovers. So no matter how you wanna get adjustable suspemsion it'll be based on the same system. I wouldn't worry about them siezing. Just spray them with wd-40 or somthing after they salt the roads. Shouldn't be a problem. Good luck in your choice

·
Registered
90 Posts
I need some advice, I'm planning on lowering my car but want to get something that's adjustable since it's gonna be also driven in winter and I don't want to plow snow at the same time. I was thinking about adjustable coil overs, but I was told that they will seize up during the winter. So it looks like the only choice I have is adjustable springs, does anybody have any feed back???

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
TM tuning sells coilovers so cheap because they SCREW you on shipping usually. Weitec coilevers are made by, and pretty much the same thing as KW but are FAR cheaper. They don't have the stainless bodies, but are zinc coated. I have no trouble with mine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just did a group buy with TM Tuning coilovers and they came out to about 495 shipped. It was about 399 plus 80 or so in shipping plus a credit card processing fee (PayPal fee I think).... considering what you are getting that is a prety damn good deal, especially since they are coming from Germany.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've heard lots of stories about coilovers seizing up. Not to scare you, but it happens all the time. Some ways of avoiding it is using anti-seize compound on the threads, or keeping them clean and well greased. Any plating will eventually wear off, but if you keep up with maintainence you won't have any problems. The KW stainless steel ones won't rust or corrode, but you do have to worry about them getting dirty. I had one of those crappy sleeve-over kits, and it was aluminum and it sill almost seized because the threads get really dirty. I've heard the H&R coilovers have wider threads and they don't seem to seize as often, if that helps.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i personally only have springs but if i had the money for it i would say without a dout...fk suspension...and no i have never heard of any coilovers seizing due to cold weather

1 - 7 of 7 Posts