VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I need a bit of advice. Going to apologize now for the long post.

Car is 02 Jetta 12v vr6 with ~114k.

I found out I had a coolant leak about a week ago. Did as much inspecting as I could without jacking up the car (do not have a low profile jack atm). Saw some weeping coming from the crack pipe and figured that is where the coolant loss was coming from because it did not seem like I was losing much fluid. Ordered the kit from ECS this week and sourced out a jack today to replace everything. Once I got it in the air I noticed coolant around my water pump. A lot of coolant. My tensioner starting making a little bit of noise a few weeks ago and I figured it just needed replacing. So now I also need to replace the water pump, tensioner, and the drive belt.

Now then, my question is would it benefit me to go ahead with the crack pipe/thermostat install and then do the water pump next weekend, or should I just wait and do it all at once. I do not plan on driving the car at all between now and then and will not be replacing the coolant until I am completely finished with the job. Just not sure if it would be easier to do the water pump with the lock carrier out of the way when lifting the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Skim is right. Just make sure you put some lube on the orings on the crack pipe before you push it in you don't wanna tear the o ring. What's the mileage on the engine. Have you done the timing chains and guide rails and tensioner yet?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chains, guides, and tensioners were done by the po at about 105k. The engine has 114k right now. I am guessing that after I do this water pump maintenance, I will keep this car until it dies seeing as those are the two major maintenance issues on the VR.

Also, wondering what all I should plan on replacing when I have everything out of the way. I will have to overnight all the parts from ECS on Thursday becuase of my pay schedule.

Right now here is what I plan on getting. Let me know if there is anything I am missing.

Water pump
Tensioner
Drive Belt
More coolant
Engine mount stretch bolts
Coolant flange plug kit
Coolant temp sensor
Water pump bolts
Water pump pulley bolts
and maybe a new pulley just in case

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your going all out go ahead and change the water outlet housing as well you need to take it off to change the crack pipe. a kit comes with all the o rings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already planned on it. Everything coming out of the back of the water pump I already have (crack pipe, thermostat housing, thermostat, thermo cover). Pretty much everything that comes with the ecs crack pipe kit stage 2. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have to replace any hoses. Really want to start driving my car again. Been driving my wife's aww 1.8t 4speed auto and its like riding a pony at the fair after riding one of the budweiser clydesdales.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts