VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 5-6000 to spend on another VW.
This one is for another kid in college, she seems to like a golf but which one?
A Jetta will work out also but should I look for an automatic or the 1.8L?
Whats a good combination oh she can drive a stick too.
Thanks for the guidance!!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
DEFINITELY stick with manual. Judging by price range and engine, im assuming youre looking at mark 4s. The automatic transmissions in the mk4 suck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Get her a 2.0 5-speed manual. Super cheap to maintain. No turbo to worry about. Less picky about oil and fuel type (takes regular 87 vs. premium that the 1.8T should run). I had that combo in my New Beetle in college. Held up great. Barely had to put any money into it for the 6 1/2 years I owned it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a great help! Thankyou very much!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in my area this is as close as it gets

2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T 5 Speed 141k

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just keep looking.
At what mileage should I shy away from 140,000 180,000?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I would stay away from passats as well. They are like a mash up of left over parts. They tend to break quickly.

Stick with the jetta, golf, gti. 2.0 is probably the easiest to maintain, though the 1.8t and vr6 are still good too. the 1.8t, you just need to worry about replacing the turbo which is kind of a hassle. but stock, the turbo should last longer.

with any mileage, make sure the timing belt has been done. It should be done before 100k, then again at around 170k. Personally, I wouldnt buy one with more than 130k. But it depends how mechanically inclined you are. after 100k, stuff tends to need to be replaced. but a lot of times it can be simple. timing belt and water pump must be replaced, or you will have to. If you have any cars your looking at in specific, post the add here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our first vw was a golf 5 speed 2.0 and my that's my 1st. Kids car still going good with almost 200000 miles now. I just don't see one locally for sale yet.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
2.0 for reliability
Tdi for MPG
1.8T for performance and headaches
Vr6 for the sound

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much more should i expect to pay for a TDI? and can they be headaches.
Ha I like Fubars identification lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
TDIs definitely command a premium. And they can require a bit more maintenance in comparison. They need fuel filters changed every 20k, oil changes done with the correct oil (which is very important), timing belt jobs need to be done on time and properly. TDIs rely on high compression so there are very, very tight tolerances in the engine. A botched timing belt job can mean a very expensive repair. Also, they do their best driven on the highway. If the car is going to sit a lot, or only be driven on short trips, its not good for a TDI. Yes, the mileage is good, but the price of diesel is higher than regular by a decent bit. And the extra maintenance costs add to the price of TDI ownership. As I've seen many a TDI owner say on TDIclub, if you are buying a TDI to save money, you're buying the wrong car.

That's not to say I'm against TDIs. We have 2 diesels in the fleet. But not sure if I'd get one for a kid in college. The 2.0 5-speed is still where I'd put my money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts