VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans went on me the other day and need to get my car back on the road ASAP! A guy I know has a wrecked 2002 jetta 2.0. Will that trans work for my car?? What would be the pros and cons if it did work?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
322 Posts
I assume this is for the car in your sig, which is a 1.8T 5-speed. If so, the 2.0 has a different gear ratio. I would stick with a 1.8T trans really.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im gonna get my 1.8t trans rebuilt. But if $250 gets my car back on the road, then im alright with that

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trans is sittin on the floor in my garage. So when people say the synchros go out fast on the 2.0 trans, how fast are we talkin here? Months? Years?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i think they mean more so on the automatics? the manual transmissions seem to be more sturdy. but you are putting a 2.0 trani on a 1.8t. idk if its built differently so it might not be able to handle the power of the 1.8t as opposed to the 2.0. idk i dont think i know enough to answer it. i figured i would try since you posted double question marks lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
just get your trans rebuilt. if antying you can grab a tdi 5th gear to get better highway cruising MPGs. 2.0 transmissions are not really designed for power. There might be a strong trans code, but you wont beat $250 to get your car back on the road.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
it works.
just dont beat the hell out of it.

search tttturbo1.8
old moderator here.. had a mk4 jetta 1.8t.. with a 2.0 trans for faster acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts