VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this has been going on for 3 months. Parked my daily driven 98 golf with the 2.0 code aba engine one night and the next morning it cranked fine but no start. Noticed the rpm needle wasnt bouncing so I figured it was the crankshaft position sensor. After ordering 4 different sensors ( all claiming that they were %100 sure it was direct fit) I finally got the right sensor .( some sensors have different harness plugs and 2 were just the wrong size altogether... mine has the expensive and uncommon sensor I guess. It started once and I let it run for an hour or so, shut the car off and the next day it wouldnt start again. New symptoms now though. I have no clock or odometer... plus my rpm needle doesnt "bounce" at regular intervals. its very irregular. goes up to about 150 rpms and sits there... then bounces once or twice and sits at 150 rpm again for awhile... all while the starter is cranking away. Ive tried unhooking my battery for days at a time and I checked the ecu for any visible signs of moisture or board burn and nothing looks or smells like the board has gone bad... Whats my next course of action? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know that someone out there has some experience with something similar. ANY help or ideas... even the location of the relays relating to the ignition or the ignition fuse even.... any help or ideas appreciated. I really have no clue at the moment. The car did have moisture in it... I put a space heater in the car and cooked it all out though., Is there a specific fuse or connector I should check after having moisture in the car? Has anyone ever heard of the magnetic pickup that the Crankshaft Position Sensor reads getting weak or repositioning? Im grasping at guesses here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please reply or maybe if this problem has been seen before... link me to a write up of one that has been solved?

I genuinely thought it was just the CPS and when I replaced it it took awhile to start... I had to jump it to get it to start... the starter seemed to be spinning fine but with the jumper cables it spun a little faster and that was the ticket... Ive tried jumping it again with no luck... It seems the faster it spun, the better reading it was getting from the CPS... but now that the clock and odometer are not working I really dont have a clue where to go from here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts