VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Golf Experts,
I need some input on a problem that I am having with my 99 Golf GLS. I started smelling gas in the passenger cabin of my car. When I took it to the dealer, he inspected it and has come back with the following diagnosis. Apparently, one of the fuel lines going into the pump is bent and it has damaged the pump. The whole fuel pump has to be replaced.

I asked him how this damage could have happened because I have not been in any accident or my car has not been vandalised or anything. He tells me that the technician is perplexed and has no idea how this could have happened.

The cost to fix is $710 (50% parts and 50% labour costs). Has any of you seen this problem before? Any help in this regard will be grealy appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Although I don't know how that could have happened the VW Dealer should never come up with a retarded explenation like you just said they did.

Here is my 0.02 cents. Go to a place that you trust other then the dealer and start saving your money.

For example to replace:
- flexible fuel line (0.5 Hours)
- fuel pump 99in (which takes longer then 97in) (1.6 Hours)
- fuel pump relay 99in (0.7 Hours)

The labor should be $196.00 so there you see how they rip you off already. This is calculated at $70 / Hour.

Then just add the parts they quoted you.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Damn, $70, i must be getting off easy with $60 or so an hour
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you can see why my bro's business is doing so well, Jon. He charges $50.00 for the first 6 months of his shop.

My VW dealer charges me $70. F...ing pricks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your message.

The dealer tells me that the high labor charge is because they need to take the rear axle off and drop the tank to get to the other end of the fuel line.

He showed me where the problem is. It is below the passenger side rear seat. When he lifted the seat, there was an oval shaped plate that was screwed down with a few screws. He unscrewed the plate off and showed me the top of the fuel pump (the plastic pipe heads to which the hard plastic fuel lines connect). One of the head was bent and there was a little puddle of gas collected in the rim around the area.

The scary part is that there is an electric junction next to this with some wires running to it. He recommended that I don't drive the car because of the danger a little spark can cause.

The split up for the cost is $343 for the pump, $16 for the fuel line and the rest for labour.
- ST

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
Although I don't know how that could have happened the VW Dealer should never come up with a retarded explenation like you just said they did.

Here is my 0.02 cents. Go to a place that you trust other then the dealer and start saving your money.

For example to replace:
- flexible fuel line (0.5 Hours)
- fuel pump 99in (which takes longer then 97in) (1.6 Hours)
- fuel pump relay 99in (0.7 Hours)

The labor should be $196.00 so there you see how they rip you off already. This is calculated at $70 / Hour.

Then just add the parts they quoted you.

I hope this helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Brian,
Did they just replace the fuel line or did they have to replace the pump? Do you happen to remember what the split up for parts and labour was?
Thanks in advance!
- ST

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
I had a leak in my fuel line in my 2000 gti vr6. It smelled like gas in the passenger cabin for about a week. I didnt know what to do other than taking it to the vw dealership-(before I got smart), because I needed it done quickly. I was going on a trip that same day, so the dealership was the only one who could take me in so quick. they replaced my entire fuel line, and "got rid of the smell of gas"...which they just covered it up with this hideous smelling crap that they said smelled like bubble gum. It must have been ass-flavored gum. but it eventually took the smell out. oh it totalled around $400+ thats what you get from a dealership...grrrrr
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I had a leak in my fuel line in my 2000 gti vr6. It smelled like gas in the passenger cabin for about a week. I didnt know what to do other than taking it to the vw dealership-(before I got smart), because I needed it done quickly. I was going on a trip that same day, so the dealership was the only one who could take me in so quick. they replaced my entire fuel line, and "got rid of the smell of gas"...which they just covered it up with this hideous smelling crap that they said smelled like bubble gum. It must have been ass-flavored gum. but it eventually took the smell out. oh it totalled around $400+ thats what you get from a dealership...grrrrr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts