VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very frustated. If I don't put my car on a battery charger every night, I will NOT start in the morning.. I can't figure out why my battery goes dead every night.. I disconnected the ground cable from the battery and put a test light between the ground post and cable and it lit up.. I sat there and pulled the fuses (the fuse panel by the drivers door.. not sure if there is any other fuses.) one by one waiting for the light to shut off, but it never did.. Yes, it does have an aftermarket stereo.. but the problem just started a couple months ago. My battery tests good... or at least that's what it says. Any ideas????

I also can't figure out why my speedometer doesn't work. I put a different transmission in my car and it worked perfect before that. I though maybe the speedo drive gear was bad in the trans I got, so I swapped them.. still doesn't work. All the fuses are good.. is there more then 1 speedo sensor??

Once again, any ideas, opinions, ect. Would be helpful.. even if it's already been said, say it again. I need to figure out these problems.. I drive my car daily and do not want these frustrations anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Check Fuse #7 for hte speedometer, if it is good, it is probably the vehicle speed sensor

Check the fuses above the battery. otherwise you may need to pull the battery and box and clean the grounds below it. the CCM system in these cars is complex and many things could fail causing a drain. Take it into a shop for them to track it is prob the easiest option.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse #7 is good. I have also pulled the battery box out and cleaned the grounds.. made no difference.. and I have also checked the 3 fuses above the battery and they are also good.. I'm also trying to avoid takin it to a shop.. that costs wayyy too much money. And since it's electrical work like this, they are just gonna milk it along and charge that much more...

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Is the radio correctly wired in? Under the dash above the pedals there is some connections. You can disconnect those and see if it turns of the light. Just watch not to get shocked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will go try that right now. Thanks Fubar

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I looked all over under the dash.. didn't find much.. but didn't have any luck with the stuff I did find. Any other ideas people? Over 100 views, and 2 replies...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Alternator is in working order? Look for any loose or grounded wires. Diagnosing wiring problems is hard enough when the vehicle is in front of you, much less with minimal information on a forum. Just start looking for anything out of place or with any bare wire showing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
How much currect is flowing from the battery with the key off?
Use an ammeter.
Disconnect the positive cable.
Place one lead from the ammeter on the positive battery post and the other on the positive cable. You should see about 50 mA with the key off and all doors closed. Keep this hooked up for about 10 minutes to ensure the car is in "sleep" mode where all modules are powered down.

Do not open the drivers door, it will activate the fuel pump and may blow the fuse in the ammeter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts