VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 95 golf 1.4 and from the UK. I recently had a MOT (vehicle legal fitness test ). In the MOT, the emissions are tested at a specific engine rev, the first time, the car failed the test as the Revs were fluctuating too much to get a steady reading, the tester drove the car round the block and retested and it just passed. I've also recently noticed petrol fumes in the cabin (when the cabin fans are on), it more noticebale when i'm stationary and at first ignition. I lifted the hood and could get a faint whiff of petrol. i've loked very carefully around the engine and near the fuel intake line and didn't notice any damp/wet patches. I'm going to get an engine diagnostic done, but does anyone know if the fluctuating engine revs and petrol fumes are related? Or what could be causing the petrol fumes?

Thanks
Quyeno

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a prob. with exhaust/fuel smell, until i found out my crankcase breather tube was cracked and letting fumes escape and then was picked up by the intake for the blower motor. You can you crank breather system for leaks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
for starters I hope you don't smoke. second, like he said check your breather tubing. if that is not it, check your other intake hoses, specifically the ones leading in to the cabin. also check the fuel line , although if it were a fuel leak that bad you would know by now. Finally check gasket seals, highly unlikely for this to occur this way but they may be bad and letting a little out on to the components of your fan/cabin vents

1 - 3 of 3 Posts