VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
my check engine light came on the other day if someone could help me... here is what happened i was driving with minimal traffic.. and came to stop light... stopped the car.. and then when the car was in idle it drops from 900rmp to 500 and then back to 900rpm several times and then bam my check engine light came on... any ideas

---
96 golf 2.0 5spd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well first things first...when was the last time you changed your air filter? That can cause your engine to idle erratically. If its not dirty I strongly reccomend you bring it to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic to figure out why the CEL light is on. It could potentially be something serious such as a leaking head gasket..and if the light continues to remain on..i wouldnt drive it until you get it fixed

·
Registered
16 Posts
It could be a lot. Its hard to tell from your post. how many miles re on the car? does it only do it when its cold? Could be a fuel/oil pump relay as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figured out the problem guys, it was my throttle pressure sensor... nothing too much but the way the tach dropped was kinda freaky... but anyway just to let ya know whats up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts