VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've been trying to research these forums for an answer and haven't found any that help pinpoint my problem.

I own a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T GL Model.

When in Idle the car starts to make a ticking noise and tends to get louder the longer it sits. On top of this the idle does seem louder than when I first got the car (@60,000) like a constant purring noise if that makes sense. I am only able to hear the ticking while in idle, but the purring noise is continuous even while driving. I'm not sure what the problem could be but have the necessary funds to make some repairs on my car though not tons.

On top of this occasionally when I turn my key the car seems to start but then immediately turns back off.

My car currently has approximately 128,500 miles on the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to keep this car running for a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have scanned the vehicle oddly the only thing that pops up is the O2 sensor which I've had replaced multiple times leading me to believe its the catalytic converter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have not popped the hood open while the ticking is happening. It's weird b/c it doesn't happen all the time... Hopefully I catch it ticking soon and I'll report back.

Not sure if these problems have happened to anyone else before...

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
ticking could be the injectors. mine would be loud sometimes and be feally noticable. then sometimes i wouldnt hear them. not sure what the purring noise could be. does it sound rotational?
you can hear my injectors tick in this video.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright so finally popped open the hood. The ticking doesn't seem to be noticeable from outside the car ... while having the hood popped open so this makes me think it's possibly from underneath?

As far as your car FUBAR, it seems like you might be driving while hearing the noise mine only happens during Idle.

I'll be posting a recording I made here shortly so you can at least hear the purring noise (if that's what you'd call it) wasn't sure how else to explain it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I can't really tell what kind of ticking it is. The audio quality isn't good enough. Were you in the engine bay when you recorded it? It honestly sounds like injectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The hood was popped open and I was just recording from the top of where the engine was.

Question if the injectors need to be replaced would this make my car turn on then lose all rpm and shut off? Then when I restart it, it starts fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts