VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just paid 400 for a 2.0 16v and comp.(97jetta) motor from the junk yard im ganna be droping it in to my 90 gl 4d wolfburg. i am planing to be doing a 270 cam and porting/polishing everything i dont know if i have to chang my fuel system to a a2 gti with a fuel reg. or get the comple a3 fuel system
i have to get this to run low low 14's if you can help me out that would be great thanks for your time
bob [email protected]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
OK... you got what motor? 2.0 16v would be 90-92 GTI/GLI 16v. 2.0 8v (ABA) would be 93-98 Golf/Jetta.

First you say 2L 16v, then 97 Jetta... that's where you lost me. Exactly what did you buy?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so then it must be a 8v ok so how would i go about hyping it out other than a 270 cam and chip and port/polishing everything
would my old head fit??? 1.8 8v i only blew the rings would it fit on the 2L

abc junk yard in lemister ma [email protected]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by golf4dGTI:
so then it must be a 8v ok so how would i go about hyping it out other than a 270 cam and chip and port/polishing everything
would my old head fit??? 1.8 8v i only blew the rings would it fit on the 2L

abc junk yard in lemister ma [email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah it'llit. Then youwouldn't need to change your injection.A little easier to od.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
If it doesn't say DOHC 16v on the intake manifold it's not a 16v. Look at the pic of the engine in my signature. ABA 8vs are cool though. Torque monsters.

If you want to use the crossflow head from the 2L you'll need the injection and wiring harness from the Jetta... and since a 97 Jetta is OBD2 it would be a pretty big pain in the ass to do the swap.

To make it easy on you, use your head from your 1.8L.

Call Techtonics Tuning, tell them you want to put a 1.8L 8v head on an ABA tallblock, they'll hook you up with the parts. You'll need a blockoff plate, distributor adaptor ring/gear, a headgasket, and a set of head bolts.

There isn't a chip made for this set-up, but I would suggest a CIS-E enrichment module. TT will sell you a non-adjustable one for $145, or I'll sell you our EPS Tuning adjustable KE-Jetronic module for $75 shipped.

And 8v hydraulic cam will work. I'd suggest either an Autotech 270, or a TT 276 if you want something serious.

Also, unless your car is a GLI or GTI you'll want to get a knock sensor ignition setup from one. If you need one let me know, I think we have one left.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Wait, wait... just realized your car is a '90... so it's digifant 2.

You can drop in the 2L with the crossflow head any everything on it. Put the digifant injectors on the 2L fuel rail, hook up the fuel lines, and route the air flow sensor into the throttle body. You'd have to figure out throttle switches of some sort.

Or you can install the 2L bottom end with the 1.8 head and injection. Don't worry about an enrichment module, but you'll probably want to limit yourself to a 270 Autotech or 268 TT cam.

You can chip digifant 2. I'd suggest either the TT chip and knock sensor extension, or a Bildon Racing chip from www.bildon.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright if i use my stock head do the cam put it on the 2L do i use my old computer or use the 97 jetta
my motor i have now is chiped i have no cule what chip it is. the motor work that been done to the car before i got it was done at fast vw in rutland vt. but i dont have any of the paper work so i dont know if it is true
i am doing a 270 cam from auto tech that the first major thing i am diong before droping in the motor

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
yes you can use your stock hed. But if you're going to alll the trouble for the 2.0 bottom end i'd p&p the head and make sure all the lifters and whatnot are in good shape. Does it tap yet? It's a hydro head so it will eventually. So i'd check evrything out. And use your computer form your car. Because you're not changing injection it'll still work. Good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got a port and polished 270 cam 1.8 head so i only need the gasket and block of plate
got the complete 2.0 so ill have part for sale as soon as it apart

·
Registered
4 Posts
first of all, changing out BOTH cams on a 16 v will only be beneficial on the intake side of things. changing an exhaust cam does nothing. he might have been thinking about it like that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope it a 8v that i got

1 - 15 of 15 Posts