VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i would like to say i am new to VW's. I am personally a American Muscle type of guy but my g/f just got a cabby and loves it. She wants upgrade it and start off with suspension and Exterior.

Questions:
1) Does anyone make a projector headlight for the 97 Cabrio?
2) What suspension pieces does everyone here recommend amd where can i get them? I wanna go all out on the suspension.
3) Is the cabrio a decent car for suspension work? IE Is it well balanced?
4) Last. How hard is the 1.8T swap... and would it be worth it? It is really slow... (84k) and i eventually wanna get a power adder or do the swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and whats the difference between a golf and Cabrio? Is it safe to say if i find stuff for a golf, it will fit on the cabby? thanks for all ur help!

·
Registered
194 Posts
The main difference between a golf and a cabrio would be the convertible top. Now I don't know exactly how compatible golf and cabrio parts are with eachother, but I can tell you that golfs have an excellent selection of suspension parts available. I like to go all out with my suspension and it seems like you do too. Try these performance autotech nopi and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome site! got some sway bars uppe strut braces. But for the golf.... Will they fit the Cabrio guys? I know the rear strut bar prob won't fit cuz its a convert but always worth a try

·
Registered
27 Posts
Save your money on the front sway bar you only need the rear the stock 18mm front is fine ... a good rear swaybar is as good of an upgrade as suspension on the MKIII ..front strut is good but with you having a trunk type setup I would guess its like the jetta and dont need the rear strut bar because its already reinforced ..but Im not sure about that .. I heard coil overs in snow state are not good because they will lock up from salt and sand I have no idea tho I have the Weitec 60/40 GT kit its cheap good setup like 499 new ...

Weight is everything with low power engines so N/A might not be the best bet for you because the cabby is a PIG .

As for power everyone has there own idea what to do and that is good makes things interesting. but I like how cheap the 2.0 is you can turbo it and make darn good power and if you blow it testing out new things so what its only 400.00 for a good low mileage used engine ... cant say that about a 1.8t or a VR ...turbo kit is about 3K or you can part one together for under 1700 with used intercooler ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts