VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am puzzled with a problem I encountered while trying to replace the rear brake shoes on my 2011 Jetta and I could use some help or advise. Although I have replaced many brake pads and brake shoes in my life I must be doing something wrong on this one. I followed the youtube video (see link below) and everything went very well fro the rear driver side until I tried to put the drum back on. It would not fit. Like the video said I tried to sand the shoes a little bit as well as the inside of the drum. I worked quite a bit on sanding the inside of the drum which removed all the scratches but the drum still does not fit easily on the shoes. It is a little bit better but still dont fit right. I would need to keep sanding quite a bit of the inside of the drum to make it fit well with no forcing on it. So I am thinking something is wrong but I dont know what. Like the video says I made sure that the parking break cable was loose. I also made sure that all the parts and springs were put together properly (see pictures).
I would really appreciate any suggestion or advise. Should I keep sanding the inside of the drum until it fits nicely and freely? Is there an adjustment somewhere I did not see?
Thanks a lot in advance for any advise or suggestion
Here is the youtube video I looked at to do my breaks:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, I finally found out what the problem was. When putting new shoes you need to make sure that the adjustment wedge is in its upper position. See the pic. This wedge has the same function as a star wheel adjuster on most other drum brake systems except that it does the adjustment automatically as the shoes are wearing out.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts