VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Wolfsburg. Recently it's giving me problem during shifting gears. It's sometimes hard to shift into and out of first gear and reverse. The dealer said it's the transmission and will cost $1400. Should the transmission start to fail this soon? They said it's not covered under warranty. I have 33k miles and drive normal.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1.8Wolf:
I have a 2001 Wolfsburg. Recently it's giving me problem during shifting gears. It's sometimes hard to shift into and out of first gear and reverse. The dealer said it's the transmission and will cost $1400. Should the transmission start to fail this soon? They said it's not covered under warranty. I have 33k miles and drive normal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the car modified? I know my WE Jetta has a 100,000 mile drivetrain/powertrain/turbo warranty (well it did before I modified the hell out of it
). If you don't have mods to void your warranty, I would ask about this. If your car is voided, and the mods are what caused the tranny to go bad, I guess it is time to suck it up and pick up the bill.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
dont you have a 2 year drive train warrenty or something like that?? or are you over the milage? us '02 guys lucked out and got a way longer warrenty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had it chipped from APR. It's my wife's daily driver from work to home etc. The chip gives us the extra kick but we don't drive it hard. I wouldn't think having the chip would ruin the transmission.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1.8Wolf:
We had it chipped from APR. It's my wife's daily driver from work to home etc. The chip gives us the extra kick but we don't drive it hard. I wouldn't think having the chip would ruin the transmission.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a chip in there, they will not honor the warranty. Before they replace it, they will look and make sure also. They have to. You could replace the ECU with another new stock one (about $400), and then bring it in. The only problem with this is that if they can prove that you had it chipped in court, or already know it's been in there, you are looking at a fraud charge. I would not recommend this at all.

If you have to replace it out of your own pocket, your best bet is to look for a tranny out of the 6 speed VR6 GTi's, a 337, 20th AE, or a GLi. They are a much beefier tranny. If you have to spend the $$$ on this, you might as well upgrade it so it won't happen again. Throw a quaife or peloquin LSD in there while your at it too.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I work in a tranny shop. And i can tell you a dealer won't fix the tranny they'll replace it. It'll cost a lot less to take it to a privattley owned shop and have them take it a pet and fix it. If it justs shifts hard it shouldn't be too crazy of a bill. But 1400 isn't too high so you might just wanna get it done.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I had a lot of tranny problems too. I brought it in 2 times to complain about 3rd gear, they said it was fine, then a couple weeks later I downshifted ito 3rd and it blew...no 3rd gear anymore. They told me it was my fault, but they would fix it anyway. I didn't do any bitching about it since they were paying, but it pissed me off so bad that they blamed it on me after I told them about it 2 times before.

I would call VW though and ask them about that, I cna't believe that's not covered...

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
We had it chipped from APR. It's my wife's daily driver from work to home etc. The chip gives us the extra kick but we don't drive it hard. I wouldn't think having the chip would ruin the transmission.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to double post...but I didn't read the replies before I replied before. Can't you switch programs back to the stock one with the APR chip? If so why don't you do that and bring it back to a different dealership, they won't have any idea you had it at the one y ou already took it to.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Like Brett said, and go to different dealer.

With only that little milage on the car I would def. put up a fight. It's a 2001 for crying out loud.

My buddy blew his transmission in his CLK and they replaced it no problem. It was clearly his fault by laying a patch every where he went.

So don't give up, change the program or even replace the ECU (it's cheaper then the tranny)!!!! THen go back to the dealer and lay it to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I have to eat the cost. The dealer shouldn't be able to flash the chip, at least that's what the APR ad says. My problem is that the transmission shouldn't have crapped out this early for such a decently new car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts