VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I want to install a Neon light above my system, but i wanted to hook it up to the speaker wire on the amplifier, So i need help finding the positive and negative, so i can hook them up. Please help

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
There should be a "+" and a "-" on the amp and the wire that is positive will have a line, or writing or something on it, the ground wire will have nothing on it. You realize that the light won't be solid like that, it will blink with the music, right?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats exactly what i want i want the lights to beat to the music. thanx for ur help

·
Registered
18 Posts
You may not want to do that. In case you don't know (which you probably do), most neon tubes operate on +12v power. If you splice into speaker wires, you are getting ~3v. Not enough power. The sensible thing to do is get a sound-activated tube, neon or led, and connect it to your remote wire, if you have one. If not, use either a ignition-on power wire or run a new one with a switch. I have eight Liteglow tubes in the trunk, and I ran mine off the trunk light. This way, if you open the hatch, the neons are getting their voltage and will operate as set( dance or steady-on). It is very easy to do, just watch the polarity when you pull the light out. Hope this will be of help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The neon tube im trying to install is a 30 inch tube that came with the undercar neon kit, which i cannot install in the back and front, So I will install one above my amps and one inside the car behind the rear seats, They are already split so i dont have to do anything. Im just trying to hook it up to the rear midrange speaker cause thats how I had it in my old little celica. Any advice? Oh the reason why I cant install it, because in the rear theres nowhere to put it, in the front? i didnt feel like taking the bumper off. The ones on the side are installed already. I'll have some pix up on my website which is on the other topic"web site" okey that was too much typing - thanx everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts