VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! sorry i haven't been posting lately, you all missed me right?!?! haha, j/k. anywho, i need to change my rotor/cap but my rotor/cap on my car, the numbers have disappeared. so i can't change it at the moment, cuz i don't know what wire goes to what. can anyone help?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking about the spark plug numbers on the distributor cap?

Firing order is 1-3-4-2 going clockwise. If your car is timed properly, the #1 plug wire should be located at approximately 1:00 on the distributor cap if you're looking down on it. It may be at some other position if your car is timed oddly (i.e., if the lug for the distributor axle is not parallel to the drive shaft at TDC).

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Front of the motor (where the "fan" belt is) is #1, then 2, 3, and 4 as you go back toward the tranny. And, as noted above, the wires as you go around the cap (clockwise when you're looking down on it) is 1-3-4-2.

You can either pay attention to where the little tab is on the bottom of the cap, and transfer the wires over one by one (since the cap will only fit in one position), or you can look at the top lip of the distibutor body, there will be a little line machined into it right on the edge (you might have to move a grey plastic cover if your car still has it), it's a timing mark, it also happens to be where #1 lines up no matter how your distributor is turned. Put 1 there, then go 3-4-2 clockwise from there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oooh, I didn't know about the little TDC mark under the grey cap. Thanks for adding the remark about the order of the plugs on the head. My bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts